Windows 7 Desktop Wireless Adapter that works with Windows 7

cybercore

I've just received a pm from a new user who needs to resolve a problem:

Hi,

Sorry for emailing you directly but not sure how to post a new message in the Forum...

I have the following PC I bought with Dell but they badly advised me (they said my Belkin would work with Windows 7 - they were wrong and they have not since responded to my request for what adapters work with Windows 7).

The details are :
I have an Inspirion 545 Minitower with Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 (2.6ghz, 800mhz, 2mb)
Memory is 3072 MB - 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
Hard Drive - 320GB, Serial ATA non Raid
OS - English Geniuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) - from Dell Download Store (UK, France, Germany)
My old Belkin USB Wireless Adapter doesn't work with this new desktop so need to get a new wireless USB adapter. I have read so many sites trying to find the best one (or one that will just work!) and I am getting confused (they say they are compatible with Windows 64 bit but then you go to the manufacturer site and they say not yet!). I just want a wireless USB adapter that I can plug into my desktop PC and get internet access. I have a Belkin Router - can I use whatever wireless adapter with the Belkin wireless router - does it matter? I also know I need drivers which I have downloaded from the Dell site (God knows if they are going to work yet!) I have spent money getting this as a gift for my dad and so far it's proving more headache than it's worth

I am really not that technical so grateful if you could either explain by using step by step (should I have to post this thread somewhere) or give me a list of brands that would work with my PC. Please do let me know if there is any other information you need from me.

Look forward to your reply!

Thanks,
Sharn

D-Link WUA-1340 USB Adapter works with windows 7????

I use a USB WUA 1340 by D-Link that works with Windows 7 64 bit

I have spent most of the day trying to get this wua 1340 working on my new computer running windows 7. I finally called D-link and they informed me that this unit does NOT work with windows 7 and there are currently no drivers for it. So when I saw your post, I was wondering how you got this unit to work with windows 7. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Wit

The wireless connection manager will not work in W7
After following instructions below go to device manager and scan for hard ware changes, or if you see the device in the adapter section try scanning for the latest software for that device
Other wise this is all the information I have on this device and for some reason it works fine for me
See image of drivers I have installed

Image of drivers
http://i49.tinypic.com/263j9ft.jpg

I just followed the CD Rom Instructions as shown below and everything worked.
I put this on my main Machine not on a Laptop

Most newer laptops may include a built-in wireless adapter. To prevent any conflicts with the D-Link wireless adapter,
it is recommended to disable the wireless adapter (as well as any unused Ethernet adapters).
From the desktop, right-click on the My Computer icon and select
Properties.
Click the Hardware tab and then click Device Manager. Scroll down
the list and click the + sign to the left of Network Adapters.
Right-click the adapter you would like to disable and select
Disable.

Warning: Do NOT install the WUA-1340 USB Adapter into your computer before installing the driver software
from the D-Link CD.
Turn on the computer and Insert the D-Link WUA-1340 Driver CD in the CD-ROM drive.
If the CD Autorun function does not automatically start on your computer, go to Start > Run. In the run box type
“D:\WUA-1340.exe” (where D: represents the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive).
If the CD Autorun function does not automatically start
on your computer, type “D:\Drivers\setup.exe”. If it does
start, proceed to the next screen.
Click Install

Most newer laptops may include a built-in wireless adapter. To prevent any conflicts with the D-Link wireless adapter,
it is recommended to disable the wireless adapter (as well as any unused Ethernet adapters).
Properties.
Disable.

Last edited:
Windows 7 and d-link 1340

Well that was VERY helpful:) I am a mac person and bought a brand new emachine desk top to run our VOP phone. I must say I don't know how people put up with PC's. I really have no knowledge of anything PC. I did however install the device so I guess I just need to uninstall and start from square one. I have windows 7 Home Edition so I wonder if that makes a difference? Like I said, MAC person here and these are issues we just rarely have to deal with.

Thanks again for your advice and I will give it a try tonight and see if I can get it working. Thanks so much and I will let you know.

Wit

The wireless connection manager will not work in W7
After following instructions below go to device manager and scan for hard ware changes, or if you see the device in the adapter section try scanning for the latest software for that device
Other wise this is all the information I have on this device and for some reason it works fine for me
See image of drivers I have installed

Image of drivers
http://i49.tinypic.com/263j9ft.jpg

I just followed the CD Rom Instructions as shown below and everything worked.
I put this on my main Machine not on a Laptop

Properties.
Disable.

Warning: Do NOT install the WUA-1340 USB Adapter into your computer before installing the driver software
from the D-Link CD.
Turn on the computer and Insert the D-Link WUA-1340 Driver CD in the CD-ROM drive.
If the CD Autorun function does not automatically start on your computer, go to Start > Run. In the run box type
“D:\WUA-1340.exe” (where D: represents the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive).
If the CD Autorun function does not automatically start
on your computer, type “D:\Drivers\setup.exe”. If it does
start, proceed to the next screen.
Click Install

Properties.
Disable.

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled and different things happened this time and boy was I excited! But still no go. I looked at your jpg, and compared to the drivers the CD had installed and saw that there were only 2 installed not 3 like you have. I am missing RAColnstx.dll So I have downloaded the driver pack from the d-link site for Vista on another computer and have it on a thumb drive. I will wait until someone--like you, tells me if it is ok to install this on the windows 7 machine. It would be my luck that I would crash the whole darn thing. I appreciate your help.
Wit

Back