Windows 7 Device Manager doesn't Run

AST

Honorable Member
Thought I'd try to get some insight here -before- I drive myself nuts and spend hours troubleshooting why I can't get the device manager to start. I even went to the system32 folder and tried to run it from there.
Also from the start menu, services, performance monitor, computer management, etc... won't run.

I'm sure something disabled it, however narrowing down the culprit isn't what I want to do on this Sunday afternoon.

Any known issue's you may provide would be helpful,
thank you.

No it doesn't help, tried to open from Control Panel, CMD.exe, start menu, GodMode, System Props, etc.
I'm thinking its a registry issue, I had to restore the registry before because a broken program messed with it.

I don't know how well it will work since there have been a lot of Windows updates since SP1 came out. In XP the disk had to be very close with updates integrated or it wouldn't work. That's how I go involved with slipstreaming.
Joe

@ Joe I'm inclined to agree.

Thanks for your help peeps, I'll continue to implement the advice. I ran Windows Repair (all-in-one). The results failed.
My system runs great -so- I'm in no hurry, tomorrow will reveal better results, (I hope).

I found the link at the bottom you might check. But otherwise, there may be several things which could cause such a problem. The registry, as you mention, or a service that is not running or a corrupted .dll file or probably several other things.

So, some questions to see if we can track it down:
Do you get the UAC prompt when you try to open it?
Can you put any of the following in the Run box and get them to start
mmc.exe
devmgmt.msc
services.msc

Helpifican referred to the System File check. It might find some corrupted file and replace it. Let us know if it shows any unrepairable files.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ot-start/f281404f-3611-4841-af06-6d22813236b3

@ Joe I'm inclined to agree.

Thanks for your help peeps, I'll continue to implement the advice. I ran Windows Repair (all-in-one). The results failed.
My system runs great -so- I'm in no hurry, tomorrow will reveal better results, (I hope).

If you are interested in trying to make a slipstreamed disk post back.
Joe

Hi everybody, I'm pleased to announce "System File Check" -fixed- the problem. As it turns out, one of my Mods caused the problem, of coarse I don't know which one cause I was slamming them out like there was no tomorrow.

@ Joe S - I have slipstreamed XP a couple of times with nLite, haven't done it yet with Win 7, couldn't find a free
(I only do free) program that would provide the service.

SEE: my site

Thanks everybody for your help, :up:

I used Ryan's Integrator and update packs for XP. I used RT Seven Lite for Windows 7 and had mixed results. I found some places to download the hot fixes but they are just the standalone ones from MS. They aren't integrated into a pack like the update packs for XP. So you wind up with some updates that don't install. I supect A needs to be installed before B on some of those that didn't integrate. The last one I tried early this year left 10-12 that didn't install. It seemed to work OK on a VM.
Joe

Back