Windows 7 DeviceDisplayObjectProvider trouble and more

BaraNisse

Hello!

I am using Win7 Ultimate x64.

Suddenly, it became impossible to safely remove external disc.
At first it froze the computer. It became a "blue screen" and memory dumping before restarting.

I chose to start Windows normally and then made a thorough check of my C drive, made on a deep scan using NIS (Norton Internet Security 2012) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and verified the file DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe.

I found nothing unusual or suspicious.

In a further attempt to do a safely remove of external disc, DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe starts in task manager, but the process was terminated after 10-15 skunder and everything else seems to function normally.

Via Gooogles I basically have not found any reasonable assistance or explanation, except the Council to re-register devicedisplayobjectprovider.exe using regsvr32.

When I tried to do this, I stumbled upon another problem. I got the following: starting address of DllRegisterServer was not found.

I may add an additional problem: Windows Security Center service is disabled and can not be started.

In "cmd prompt" I have as an administrator run sfc / scannow without finding any errors. I have also run UnHackMe and Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool - 64 bit without finding something fishy.

I think it seems to be a problem created by a trojan / virus or similar, but I have not found anything.

I am grateful for all the tips and advice!

Finally!

I beg your pardon, but I am not used to write in english!

But I hope that the whole thing is reasonably understandable.

Is your external drive disconnected now?

Windows Security Center service is disabled and can not be started
You checked the Services.msc for the Security Center entry and it shows as disabled there? Are the services it depends on running?

Some viruses can hook certain requests and return a good result when it may actually be a problem, so although the scans you have done so far look good, there could still be a problem.

You might try this bootable version of Microsoft Security Essentials to see if it finds anything...

What is Windows Defender Offline?

Is your external drive disconnected now?

You checked the Services.msc for the Security Center entry and it shows as disabled there? Are the services it depends on running?

Some viruses can hook certain requests and return a good result when it may actually be a problem, so although the scans you have done so far look good, there could still be a problem.

You might try this bootable version of Microsoft Security Essentials to see if it finds anything...

What is Windows Defender Offline?

Thanks for your interest in my problem and your willingness to help me! :thumbs_up:

I disconnected my external drive at my first the blue screen. Since it was enough that I right-clicked on the icon for safe removal and DeviceDisplayObjectProvider started for 10-15 seconds and then stopped.

I can't find WindowsSecurityCenter in the list of services at all and that was the main reason for my suspicion of trojans and/or viruses.

I downloaded Windows Defender Offline and ran it, without finding something fishy.

I fear it gets closer and closer to a reinstallation. I really hate it!

I can't find WindowsSecurityCenter in the list of services at all and that was the main reason for my suspicion of trojans and/or viruses.

Security Center (WSCSVC)is what you are looking for. Should be set to Automatic (Delayed) and be running. If it is not running, and you cannot start it, check the dependencies to see if they are running.

If case you do not know, when you find the Security Center, you can right click and select properties. From there, look at the dependencies tab to see what it needs to run and check those. I am not sure what would show in that dependencies window if one of the services was not running.

Last edited:
Security Center (WSCSVC)is what you are looking for. Should be set to Automatic (Delayed) and be running. If it is not running, and you cannot start it, check the dependencies to see if they are running.

If case you do not know, when you find the Security Center, you can right click and select properties. From there, look at the dependencies tab to see what it needs to run and check those. I am not sure what would show in that dependencies window if one of the services was not running.

Well, thank you!

But I can not find WSCSVC as a service and the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ services \ wscsvc is missing from the registry.

Is there a way to fix it?

Yes, there is!: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-removed/47b55525-f0be-4434-95c3-265fbba64807

I still have problem with the rest.

Last edited:
So Security Center is running now?

But since other things may be missing, if you have the ability, you may want to do a repair install, which leaves your system in place, but does require reactivation. I am not sure about OEM installs, but I have seen some that offer to reinstall while leaving your files alone.

If you need it, you can download a Windows 7 Install DVD with SP1 included from here:

Link Removed - Not Found

If you can find other things not running and repair or start those, you may be able to get your system back. But I am not sure how to determine what might be missing or not installed properly.

So Security Center is running now?

But since other things may be missing, if you have the ability, you may want to do a repair install, which leaves your system in place, but does require reactivation. I am not sure about OEM installs, but I have seen some that offer to reinstall while leaving your files alone.

If you need it, you can download a Windows 7 Install DVD with SP1 included from here:

Link Removed - Not Found

If you can find other things not running and repair or start those, you may be able to get your system back. But I am not sure how to determine what might be missing or not installed properly.

I have a retail version, the disc and a valid key so the (re)activation is no problem.

But I have done repair installations before without good results. - But what els is there to do.:sad_smile:

Thank you for all your efforts in this subject! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Well, I know I don't know, and maybe you don't know either, what might be wrong with the system. If you can live without the external drive for a while, maybe use your system and see what you bump into and take those problems one at a time.

If you wanted to check your services panel against mine to see what might be missing, I could post screen shots of my services so you could compare.....

Let me know..

Well, I know I don't know, and maybe you don't know either, what might be wrong with the system. If you can live without the external drive for a while, maybe use your system and see what you bump into and take those problems one at a time.

If you wanted to check your services panel against mine to see what might be missing, I could post screen shots of my services so you could compare.....

Let me know..

It all seems (my pc-problems) to be a question about the registry and lost keys in this.

My wife also has a computer with windows 7 x64 operating system.
When I compare the registries, I find the Device Display Object Provider in her registry, while it is missing in my registry.

Once upon a time, I was pretty good at the registry in Windows XP so I'll make an attempt on that road.
Of course, I'm starting with a back-up of the registry.

I'll tell you how it went.

And, Thank you. - You have been very helpful.

At the end: I did a clean reinstallation after saving some files and folders. Bookmarks and files for Firefox and so on...

It runs smoothly now and this time I also will frequently do back-ups of the registry.

Last edited:
OK, your decision was probably the best in your situation.

I like to do a complete system backup fairly often. Having a recent image can be very comforting ... :wink_smile:

Hello!

I am using Win7 Ultimate x64.

Suddenly, it became impossible to safely remove external disc.
At first it froze the computer. It became a "blue screen" and memory dumping before restarting.

I chose to start Windows normally and then made a thorough check of my C drive, made on a deep scan using NIS (Norton Internet Security 2012) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and verified the file DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe.

I found nothing unusual or suspicious.

In a further attempt to do a safely remove of external disc, DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe starts in task manager, but the process was terminated after 10-15 skunder and everything else seems to function normally.

Via Gooogles I basically have not found any reasonable assistance or explanation, except the Council to re-register devicedisplayobjectprovider.exe using regsvr32.

When I tried to do this, I stumbled upon another problem. I got the following: starting address of DllRegisterServer was not found.

I may add an additional problem: Windows Security Center service is disabled and can not be started.

In "cmd prompt" I have as an administrator run sfc / scannow without finding any errors. I have also run UnHackMe and Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool - 64 bit without finding something fishy.

I think it seems to be a problem created by a trojan / virus or similar, but I have not found anything.

I am grateful for all the tips and advice!

Finally!

I beg your pardon, but I am not used to write in english!

But I hope that the whole thing is reasonably understandable.

DeviceDisplayObjectProvider.exe is not a virus dont worry about it and it is not related with external device also.SECOND problem is with either windows explorer (it includes file on your external drive also) or HARDWARE problem.

Back
Top Bottom