Windows 10 didn't get update

fritz bowen

Never got the anniversary update August 2 or the update to it at the end of the month,last update from windows I had was on August 16th to update version 1511 and that failed.tried downloading the update yesterday it froze again at 85%.we i rebooted this the error message that came up:0xc1900101-0x40000 Installation failed in the second_boot phase with error during migrate_data operation.

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

To my knowledge, no one on the planet has yet gotten a notification for an auto-update for the AU (Anniversary Update) on their computer since Aug. 2nd. :noway: It might be worth your time to use our forum search to lookup "Anniversary Update" and read the detail of this as there are 3 or 4 separate threads on it. The bottom line is that the AU will not come into your computer and automatically update it to v1607 as older updates did in W10, or W10 Tech Preview versions, nor even as Win7 did with the SP1 service pack update. The only way to get this update at present is to download the W10 ISO tool as kemical suggests and do a Clean Install of W10. This is quite a problem for most people, as the process of doing a Clean Install will wipe or erase your entire drive clean of all installed programs as well as personal data from the time you got your computer.:waah:

This requires you to reinstall all those programs, and the data, which means you should make very certain that you have previously backed up all your personal data (such as Library folders) to external media prior to attempting this in order to avoid possible irretrievable data loss!

Of course, this may be obvious to you, but there are other users here who will be reading this thread, and it never hurts to throw that caution out there.

So far we know of at least 2 computers including one of my Customers who had the AU come into their computers and attempted to auto-install, in both cases significant repair efforts had to be made in order to recovery their W10 normal operation.:headache:

Hope that proves helpful to you.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Just an aside I just on 9/1 finally got the AV update on my ASUS T100. So it appears they are still rolling it out.

@helpifIcan: what version did you have before the update (I think you meant to say "AU", not "AV" there!)? Did you have v1511 and the AU auto-updated it to v1607? Which build please? Or did you do a Clean Install to get to v1607? Please clarify what you did. Yes, the AU is available, as discussed in multiple threads here on the AU, but Microsoft still hasn't fixed their Auto-Update from v1511-->v1607.:noway::noway: Unless I've misunderstood what you said.

Have a good week!
<<<BBJ>>>

@helpifIcan: what version did you have before the update (I think you meant to say "AU", not "AV" there!)? Did you have v1511 and the AU auto-updated it to v1607? Which build please? Or did you do a Clean Install to get to v1607? Please clarify what you did. Yes, the AU is available, as discussed in multiple threads here on the AU, but Microsoft still hasn't fixed their Auto-Update from v1511-->v1607.:noway::noway: Unless I've misunderstood what you said.

Have a good week!
<<<BBJ>>>
I have the very first version that came out July 29 of last version 10240

And how did you try to install the AU update? Because it didn't automatically just show up in your Windows Update applet. As I already indicated. And, I happened to have a v1507 b10240 on one of the hard drives in my W10 test machine. This was upgraded to the AU on the same hard drive using the Clean Install method I referenced above, and it worked no problem.:up: But, I had to MANUALLY install it as I said. There were multiple builds on v1507, which is the version of W10 you have; builds are periodically released to fix bugs in the version itself, adding enhancements, etc. You just have to make sure that you select the Format drive option when in the W10 install program. If you have a multi-boot C: drive, we don't recommend attempting the AU install as we haven't fully tested it; especially with Linux and W10 as there are now over 600 versions of Linux out there to test with W10; that's going to take a while.

So, yes, your update from v1507 b10240 should work if you are doing it right.

It also would be helpful to have the Make/Model of your computer you are trying to get the AU on for us if you would please. Bear in mind that if you have an XP-era machine built prior to 2006, AU will NOT install due to hardware limitations. FYI.

Keep us posted. :nerdie:

<<<BBJ>>>>

And how did you try to install the AU update? Because it didn't automatically just show up in your Windows Update applet. As I already indicated. And, I happened to have a v1507 b10240 on one of the hard drives in my W10 test machine. This was upgraded to the AU on the same hard drive using the Clean Install method I referenced above, and it worked no problem.:up: But, I had to MANUALLY install it as I said. There were multiple builds on v1507, which is the version of W10 you have; builds are periodically released to fix bugs in the version itself, adding enhancements, etc. You just have to make sure that you select the Format drive option when in the W10 install program. If you have a multi-boot C: drive, we don't recommend attempting the AU install as we haven't fully tested it; especially with Linux and W10 as there are now over 600 versions of Linux out there to test with W10; that's going to take a while.

So, yes, your update from v1507 b10240 should work if you are doing it right.

It also would be helpful to have the Make/Model of your computer you are trying to get the AU on for us if you would please. Bear in mind that if you have an XP-era machine built prior to 2006, AU will NOT install due to hardware limitations. FYI.

Keep us posted. :nerdie:

<<<BBJ>>>>
I have a gateway DX-4860 built in 2011.

Yep finger slip or brain slip yes the anniversary update.
It did not auto update it is just sitting there waiting for me approve.
It is on 1511 now.

Thanks for posting your computer make/model and the year it was mode! Nice job there.:up: I confirmed this build year as well.
Continuing the thought in order to answer your original question, yes, this computer will clearly take the AU update, but as stated above even if you get the AU update into your computer as helpifican mentions he did, you still have to do a Clean Install in order to get the AU installed on your PC. AND this requires you backup all your personal data to external media as mentioned also, as the process of installing the AU update will erase ALL your information, both programs and personal data will be permanently removed from your PC hard drive!!:nerves:

Searching our forum here will produce the multiple threads where we discuss how this is broken, and why it works this way and not the way all previous MS updates do, etc. Having the AU update sitting in your updates inbox doesn't appear to be a problem, unless your W10 stops getting all other updates as well.:waah: This doesn't mean you can't still use your PC; it just means that you'll no longer be getting certain security updates and bug fixes to the OS (W10). This may affect you and it may not. From the security standpoint, there are many holes in W10 that hackers can use to breach your computer; but the best defenses are to keep your AV program up to date and make sure it is running and run occasional manual scans such as once a week or once a month. Use a good 3rd party antispyware scanner such as Malwarebytes (free from Malwarebytes.org), and use a good program such as CCleaner to keep spyware viruses and old program remnants from clogging up your PC and slowing it down. Lastly, make sure to keep up with the latest security threats by reading online articles or checking out your local computer club where they regularly discuss preventive measures that can keep your PC safe from threats on the Internet, backup procedures, etc.:)

In this case, you have to make a choice on whether to do a scratch Clean Install on your computer or not which requires the reinstallation of all programs you have installed since you purchased that PC and opened up it's shipping box and plugged it in along with the reintegration of your data and the repair of any devices that no longer work after the AU update has been applied by downloading and installing updated W10 drivers from the manufacturer's support site (e.g. Acer/Gateway site). That's a lot of work to do to get to the AU update version/build. :headache:

Of course, you could take it to your local Computer Pro and pay them to do that task for you if you can afford to do so. You could also simply wait and see if MS decides to fix this problem, or wait until the next roll-up release which should be out later this month or certainly by October/November.

Sorry for all this confusion; it's frustrating to us too, since Microsoft hasn't even admitted this problem exists, let alone provide Customers with a timeframe or ETA when it will be fixed.

EDIT: one last thing, if you do update your PC to the AU update, it should continue getting monthly updates from MS, we have tested this out, and that does seem to work going forward.:up:

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

Last edited:
Sounds good. :) Did you attempt to use the link kemical provided to you in Post #2? And did you remember to manually format your USB stick with NTFS format first prior to using the MCT tool to create the bootable W10 AU stick? And, how big was your USB stick; it needs to be at least a 16GB stick, as the AU update is around 9.3GB which WON'T fit on an 8GB stick.:down:

EDIT: I almost forgot, there's a bug we know about with using SanDisk Cruzer USB sticks with W10 as well as W8x; they cannot be used for this purpose using the Microsoft MCT tool which kemical provided the link to for you!! :noway: You can use PNY or VERBATIM; we've tested both these brands ourselves,:up: but we hear that any other non-SanDisk brand should work. We just haven't received feedback back here if they do, and specifically which other brands will work. This bug can produce a failure during the install program as you are seeing. (sorry I didn't mention these requirements earlier!).

BBJ

Last edited:
I formatted it right the NTSF system,a screen came up during you can't go back to windows 8.1 do you want to continue?.This update I saw had on 3.4 GBwhen it was supposed to have 9.3.don't know how this was the right update

I've just created a usb windows bootable flash drive and the files would easily fit on a 8gb capacity drive.

Capture.PNG

I formatted it correctly,a window came up saying if you leave windows 8.1 you can't back,do you want to continue.The AU was 9.3 GB but what I downloaded was only 3.4 so couldn't the August 2nd AU.

I formatted it correctly,a window came up saying if you leave windows 8.1 you can't back,do you want to continue.The AU was 9.3 GB but what I downloaded was only 3.4 so couldn't the August 2nd AU.

Odd. As you can see the update is only just over 3gb. Not sure where the 9.3gb is coming from.

And, how big was your USB stick; it needs to be at least a 16GB stick, as the AU update is around 9.3GB which WON'T fit on an 8GB stick.:down:

EDIT: I almost forgot, there's a bug we know about with using SanDisk Cruzer USB sticks with W10 as well as W8x;

BBJ

A bit odd but the install created with MCT is under 4gb and it fits on a 4gb stick fine. As for the SanDisk bug we know about. It's news to me as I'm exclusively using their drives and installs work fine. Do you have an article about that bug?

Back