Windows 10 Disable Display Brightness Change When Plugging Charger In/Out

Lakis01

Hey everyone,

does anybody know how to stop Win 10 from changing the display brightness each time I connect / disconnect the charger? To prevent any misunderstanding, I am not reffering to the adaptive display settings regarding specific power plans.

Thanks!

Markus

Yeah, the thing is I am always manually adjusting the brightness depending on the background light / daytime. So if I have it plugged in around midday its at 100%. I plug it off go to eventually 20% at 10pm and start charging again. -> 100%
I want charging to just have no effect on the display brightness.

There's no way to disable that, the display brightness will be determined by the power plan you are on and AC vs battery

A possible workaround would be to automatically copy the current brightness to all other power plans.
Any idea how to do that?

In the simplest form, I'd say a batch file.
You can use the GUID aliases to set values

Code:
@ECHO OFF
SET /P DISPLAY=Enter a brightness value 0-64 hex (0 - 100 decimal)

REM Set balanced power scheme brightness
POWERCFG /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%
POWERCFG /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%

REM Set high performance scheme brightness
POWERCFG /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_MIN SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%
POWERCFG /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_MIN SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%

REN Set power saving scheme brightness
POWERCFG /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_MAX SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%
POWERCFG /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_MAX SUB_VIDEO aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb %DISPLAY%

Thank you very much!

I would have to run that command each time I change the brightness via Fn+[up]/[down] for it to be copied to the power plans. It would not run in the background to automatically detect when I change the display brightness and then copy it, Am I wrong?

I guess I have to fill in the "aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb" stuff individually via powercfg /l in cmd, right?

The code I listed should work. Schemes, and sub schemes have aliases which are included in the script I provided. The individual properties dont have aliases, but should be the same across systems

I am sorry, I am quite illiterate regarding scripts; I have learned a few things using Ubuntu, but ...

Should I just copy & paste this into cmd and make that process run on every startup?

Is the value 0-64 hex (0-100 decimal) a computer instruction or should I set a value here?

I guess aded5e82-b909-4619-9949-f5d71dac0bcb is a GUID alias, but if understand you correctly it should work nevertheless on my specific system?

Thanks!

You can copy everything in the code section into a .bat file. When you run it it will wait for input and set the variable DISPLAY to that value. Everywhere in the script you see %DISPLAY% will get replaced with that value.

Start up would not work since the script needs elevated rights, so to run it you need to right click the batch file and select Run As Administrator.

Back
Top Bottom