Windows 7 Disable hold to right click on the taskbar

JamesBobSmith

Basically what the title says. I often find when I go to click a program on the taskbar, if I hold it down too long and drag up it brings up the right click options, the first of which is close. So if I hold onto the mouse button for too long and drag up and let go on close it closes the program which is kind of annoying. Is there any way to disable this? There is an image of the problem or attached, or there is a link here: http://i.gyazo.com/1b8ec71db02e8a2f06642fe663231def.png

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with the Windows Classic theme

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• WINDOWS.png
    WINDOWS.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 384
Why are you dragging it up? If you want to open it, just click on it. Windows 7 Basic theme brings up a different behavior to this so you may want to try switching theme.

Last edited:
I would begin with a different mouse and see if the issue still persists.
If that is not it, I would go to Control Panel > select Mouse. Look for option to test and adjust mouse Sensitivities.

Why are you dragging it up? If you want to open it, just click on it. Windows 7 Basic theme brings up a different behavior to this so you may want to try switching theme.
Since when I click on an icon I bring the mouse back up the screen to use the program and if I hold the mouse button down half a second too long it will bring up the options

I would begin with a different mouse and see if the issue still persists.
If that is not it, I would go to Control Panel > select Mouse. Look for option to test and adjust mouse Sensitivities.
It's not to do with the mouse, when I click a program and bring my mouse back up the screen, if I hold it down a few milliseconds too long until the point where my cursor is just above the taskbar and is hovering over the close button, then when I let go of the mouse button it registers the mouse button up event as being on the close button

You may have the "ClickLock" feature enabled. Go to Control Panel >>> Mouse and see if it is ticked. If so, untick it or adjust the setting.

mouse.jpg

First, there is no such thing as "hold-to-right-click" feature on taskbar so I don't know where to find the solution for that. There is a right-click functionality which does the same thing as your problem. There is something wrong with the mouse. What brand and model of mouse are you using? Or there maybe some other USB devices plugged in to your computer that causes the mouse to act weird. I have that kind of problem sometimes with my logitech wireless mouse. Somehow there is some kind of interference with the signal between my mouse and the receiver that causes my mouse to do things by itself.

For me there is, holding down on an icon in the taskbar and dragging upwards brings up the same option menu as right clicking the program, I can't see why that would be a problem with my mouse

What you are discribing is the all new taskbar item jump list menu and not exactly identical to a typical right click context menu but close enough for government work.
You can disable the jump list feature easy enough from the taskbar properties, jump list tab.

Jump lists

Jump lists are menu options available by right-clicking a taskbar icon or holding the left mouse button and sliding towards the center of the desktop on an icon. Each application has a jump list corresponding to its features, Microsoft Word's displaying recently opened documents; Windows Media Player's recent tracks and playlists; Internet Explorer's recent browsing history and options for opening new tabs or starting InPrivate Browsing; Windows Live Messenger's common tasks such as instant messaging, signing off, and changing online status. Up to 10 menu items may appear on a list, partially customizable by user.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

Last edited:
Thank you trouble that's what I was looking for, I appreciate the help
You're welcome, if that actually provided you with a solution then that's a good thing. I was rather disappointed in the actual results but to each his own.
I am forever amazed at how often various people seem to want to disable any number of things here and there within the operating system that to me, make it more robust and feature rich and just overall, handier to use.
Many of these things are an integral part of the OS and do not lend themselves to much in the way of real customization. After all, Microsoft considers them features and not bugs or problems that need addressing.

Well it gave me something to work off since I knew the name but it seems there isn't a way to disable jump lists which is rather annoying. I can see the usefulness of it but for me it causes more trouble when I carelessly try and open a program and end up closing it instead. But yeah I've had similar problems with Google recently and a lot of their products they force things on you, such as using a Google account with YouTube etc. Although there is workarounds it can be frustrating

... But yeah I've had similar problems with Google recently and a lot of their products they force things on you, such as using a Google account with YouTube etc. Although there is workarounds it can be frustrating
Since everything is going cloud these days, we don't have much choice but to suck it up. We just have to be smart. Personally, I have dummy email accounts on google and yahoo in case a website requires one. They're free anyway. I never give away my primary email accounts. :) Have you resolved your issue yet?

Back
Top Bottom