Windows 10 Disable Microsoft Edge

djchapple

Extraordinary Member
I am really fed up with Microsoft Edge popping up all the time especially when I am trying to display pdfs.

I have tried to disable it by changing the name of the Edge file in SystemApps but I always get the same error message - a file in the folder is open in another app.

I loathe and detest Edge - how can I disable it?

My Lenovo AIO is running a fully up to date version of Windows 10 Pro

I did not explains myself too well. The problem usually arises when I use the search box (on taskbar) to find information about the computer or Windows 10. The result is that all webpages, pdfs etc are opened in Edge even though Google is set as the default browser and Adobe Reader as the default for pdfs. I am really fed up and want to be totally shot of Edge

Unfortunately there is no built-in way to change that. Cortana will only use bing and Edge

There is no official way to disable it and disabling Cortana will break Windows search

" The result is that all webpages, pdfs etc are opened in Edge even though Google is set as the default browser"
Google is not a browser

Last edited:
  1. Go to Control Panel > Programs.
  2. Under Programs and Features, select the Turn Windows features on or off option.
  3. Clear the checkbox next to Internet Explorer 11.
  4. Click Yes in the pop-up dialog box.
  5. Click OK and then restart the system.

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs.
  2. Under Programs and Features, select the Turn Windows features on or off option.
  3. Clear the checkbox next to Internet Explorer 11.
  4. Click Yes in the pop-up dialog box.
  5. Click OK and then restart the system.

That is for Internet Explorer. Edge is not available for this type of adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you updated you PC with the latest windows updates. If so, it should have updated Edge to the new Edge Chromium. IF not, you can download it separately from here. It's so customizable now and very easy to use just like Chrome.

Have you updated you PC with the latest windows updates. If so, it should have updated Edge to the new Edge Chromium. IF not, you can download it separately from here. It's so customizable now and very easy to use just like Chrome.

We want to *disable* Edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back