Windows 7 Disable Network Connection Properties

Josh:
I'm using Ultimate 64bit and as I reported earlier, I can't get it to work. Now I'm booting up my other machine which is Ultimate 32bit and will try on that one and see what happens.

Josh:
Tried my Windows Ultimate 32 bit machine, still no joy. Just to make sure, look at attachment and make sure we are both trying to do the same thing in the same place

Policy Editor

Yup.. thats where i have been changing the policies and that's wher the guy from MS was poking. The answer could lie in the version of Win 7, not Ultimate or Professional but the release version. I will wait for Mondays phone call with anticipation

MS Help

Had some MS guy look at my laptop again but concluded the same as before that setting the policies does not disable the Network Connection Properties! He seemed to think that it is a Windows 7 Pro issue, though i did mention that someone else had reported the issue on Windows 7 Ultimate. Anyway he's going to check a Windows 7 Pro install and email me with the results. If he experoiences the problem then it will be referred to the 'coders'. When i get the email i'll post again....

Basically i'm treading water :frown:

bcarroll:
Please try it, I tried it on Ultimate 32 and 64 bit, but still hoping I'm just not doing something right, so yeah please and let us know your results. As far as the third party program, I would just as soon get this working like it's suppose to and only resort to that if absolutely necessary.

Hey, if it will help, I can have a go for you on Windows 7 Ultimate, I will have a go when I get home!

Yes Please and post results.

Have you also tried a 3rd party program? I have often used PC Security Tweaker which you do have to pay for but I usually just use it on a trial basis and it keeps the restrictions going afterwards!

I wrote a Windows Service which actually checked the IP address and then changed it if it was incorrect. However, why go to that trouble if there is a feature in Windows which will stop users changing it.
Thanks for the info on PC Security Tweaker, I'll have a look at it - might be useful for other things too.

Last edited:
No Solution As Yet

I had another call from MS Support today. They said that the problem is not a general problem and to fix it requires me to pay for the next level support! I was told it would be the 'Princely Sum' of £199 :eek: and it will probably involve a registry hack. I tried to get it for free as i said it was a 'bug' but they didn't budge. I have now posted this problem in the Microsoft TechNet forum to try and raise awareness and have had one reply from someone else who can't get it to work. Link
Network Connection Properties - Disabling

If i get an answer i will post back. Please continue to test and report.

I had another call from MS Support today. They said that the problem is not a general problem and to fix it requires me to pay for the next level support! I was told it would be the 'Princely Sum' of £199 :eek: and it will probably involve a registry hack. I tried to get it for free as i said it was a 'bug' but they didn't budge. I have now posted this problem in the Microsoft TechNet forum to try and raise awareness and have had one reply from someone else who can't get it to work. Link

Josh:
Yeah, that was me overthere, I was going to stay out of it and just see if I could learn something, but the guy from India or wherever didn't seem to understand your OP very well so I thought I would pitch in and clarify. So today I used one of my valuable TechNet Complimentary Support Vouchers ( I actually never have used them in the past and didn't realize how valuable they really are 199 pounds, what's that in US dollars.) So now, because I didn't insist that the world would come to an end if we didn't resolve the issue immediately, I have to wait for a call back, supposedly within 8 business hours. We'll see if that produces any results. Still in standby mode
Randy

That is so dirty... and they wonder why so many people want to hack their software.

Seagate did a similar thing to me. I had a new drive (about 1 year old) that went bad during a reboot and seagate wouldn't even tell me what the problem was... although it was a problem with the frimware in every 7600.11 driver they shipped/ These companies just don't get it.

Back