Windows 10 Disconnect during absence

Fenway16

Honorable Member
On one of my older laptops, there was an F12 key that disconnected from the net. I looked on line for a guide somewhere to tell what the F keys do. None of the entries seem to address win10. At any rate, I like to leave my laptop on but I'm not necessarily on it. Since no F key shortcut should I just go to the connection menu and disconnect? Thanks.

The f# shortcuts are specific to a given laptop model and don't correspond to operating system shortcuts.
  1. Right click on the start button
  2. Select Device Manager
  3. Navigate to and right click on your wireless network adapter
  4. Go to Power Management and verify that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is check
If your system is setup to go to sleep the network adapter will power off during sleep.

As long as you have your wireless profile set to auto connect(the default) it should just connect back up when the computer wakes up.

and if not set as default, (by some quirky thing), go to icon on task bar and reconnect? My main issue for asking about this is security. If left unattended, are you more at risk for a sneak attack? Conversely, even if sitting at pc, can you really stop such? Thanks again.

Are you more at risk? I would say no. If by chance someone did get a foot hold into your network and on your computer you'd likely never know it unless you had established monitoring and alerting tools which you won't typically in a home network. The tools do exist (even free ones) but require some degree of expertise to properly configure and maintain.

Well that's good to hear. I have Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. That's it. I think I'll leave well enough alone and not worry. Thanks again.

and if not set as default, (by some quirky thing), go to icon on task bar and reconnect? My main issue for asking about this is security. If left unattended, are you more at risk for a sneak attack? Conversely, even if sitting at pc, can you really stop such? Thanks again.
in that case I'd just click the wifi icon and put your laptop into flight mode

the only ones doing sneak attack are Microsoft with their updates so flight mode will stop that as well... just click the plane to unlock it again + by law every laptop must have a flight mode option so its a safe thing to learn and not going away

Back