Windows 7 Display turns off won't come back on w/o a restart (Sleep Mode and Display Set to Never)

Kylethedarkn

Ok so I've been working with this old computer putting on Win7 on it and at one point I had it on with everything working.

However i had installed Win7 on a noisy HD and so the person I was fixing it up for wanted me to switch it out, so I swapped the drives and reinstalled Win7. Now when left sitting for a long period of time(about a few hours) it will turn off the display. The power light on the case remains on but the Monitor light turns orange. Once that happens no mouse or keyboard input will wake it, nor pushing the power button once. The only thing that fixes it is restarting the computer.

I made sure Sleep Mode and Turn off the display were set to never and even disabled Hybrid Sleep mode. I've tried 2 different set of graphics card drivers and both have the problem.

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX 5500. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. I did get an Event ID 4101 and 4001 error in the event logs so that might have to do with it.

The last idea I have is disabling the screensaver so we will see how that goes.

I could not find an option to turn hibernation off, it seemed to be something you have to put the computer into. I don't it think it does it automatically.

But if there is an option, where would I find it? I tried look through Power Options and searching hibernation in the control panel.

I could not find an option to turn hibernation off, it seemed to be something you have to put the computer into. I don't it think it does it automatically.

But if there is an option, where would I find it? I tried look through Power Options and searching hibernation in the control panel.

I just came to this forum because I am literally in the same boat as the OP.

To disable hibernation, open an elevated command prompt. Copy/paste this command to it then hit enter:

Code:
powercfg -h off

Reboot. You will also gain the same amount of hard drive space as RAM installed in the machine, by doing this.

To disable hibernation, open an elevated command prompt. Copy/paste this command to it then hit enter:

Code:
powercfg -h off
Reboot. You will also gain the same amount of hard drive space as RAM installed in the machine, by doing this.

I knew it was a matter of time before TorrentG came to the rescue! ;)

Back