Windows 8 DLing Win8 for Correct Bit-set

Drew

Banned
FYI:

IF, you are putting Win8 Upgrade on a 32-bit machine, download the Upgrade w/ that machine or another x86 machine.

IF, you are putting it on a 64-bit machine use that machine or another x64 machine to DL.

I'm sure you see the point/message here. IF, you DL it on a 64-bit machine & then, go to install on a x86 machine you will receive a compatibility error.

And, certainly, you are not going, even consider bothering to put a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, apparently, I needed to have included some words about the 4G RAM for X64. Guess, I should not have taken that as obvious. Certainly, can run a 32 OS on 64 H/W even w/ less than 4G RAM. OR even 64, for that matter. 64 does NEED 4G, just will take advantage of it if it is there.

Cheers,
Drew

There have been some comments about an option during a download to choose the other bit version, during the purchase verification process, I believe. I don't remember seeing it, but it might be there.

There have been some comments about an option during a download to choose the other bit version, during the purchase verification process, I believe. I don't remember seeing it, but it might be there.

I didn't had the option (personally) when I checked out using the Upgrade Advisor. Although I did do it from 64-bit Release Preview

From within Windows 8 RP/CP using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, it will auto-detect x86/x64 and download accordingly, hence, no available option to choose.