Windows 7 DMA to PIO

Banshee1221

sorry if this is annoying, sure you must be getting many of these... but i was wondering if anyone has any tips i could follow to help lock my drive in DMA mode...
I have done everything others have told me and yet every time i do anything on my 2nd drive (1st primary is SATA and slave is IDE) it goes straight back into PIO. This is so annoying! i cant seem to keep it in DMA

System:
Intel DG965SS mobo
WD Caviar 80GB HDD (slave)
Maxtor 250GB (master)
3GB Trancsend DDR4-800MHz
C2D E6400 @ 2.13 stock

sorry if this is annoying, sure you must be getting many of these... but i was wondering if anyone has any tips i could follow to help lock my drive in DMA mode...
I have done everything others have told me and yet every time i do anything on my 2nd drive (1st primary is SATA and slave is IDE) it goes straight back into PIO. This is so annoying! i cant seem to keep it in DMA

System:
Intel DG965SS mobo
WD Caviar 80GB HDD (slave)
Maxtor 250GB (master)
3GB Trancsend DDR4-800MHz
C2D E6400 @ 2.13 stock
Not sure if this will help but take a look and especially at section number 3. Possible causes for falling back to PIO mode Link Removed - Invalid URL You also mention that the problem drive is "slave" on what with what. WD drives don't like jumpers if they are alone on an IDE channel, so can we assume that you have it slaved to another drive (DVD or CD) on the same ribbon cable?

Yes

Thanks for the reply. I have my DVD drive attached on the same ribbon as i only have one IDE channel on my mobo. Both my DVD and WD Drive are PATA.

Thanks for the reply. I have my DVD drive attached on the same ribbon as i only have one IDE channel on my mobo. Both my DVD and WD Drive are PATA.
I suppose now it would depend on how important resolving the issue would be to you. For testing you could remove the DVD temporarily, make sure you have a 80 pin IDE cable, the shorter the better, remove the jumpers from the WD hard drive and see if that resolves the mode switching issue. If it does then perhaps, assuming you have additional SATA connectors, you might consider purchasing a SATA DVD they seem to be relatively cheap here Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CD / DVD Burners & Media,CD / DVD Burners,SATA,DVD Burner keep us posted.

One of my buddies lent me some of his PATA cables to try out and it worked... That leads me to wonder if all 3 my cables are slow/broken? Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

Glad to hear you have it resolved. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. I would actually just assume that to be the case and replace all the cables just for peace of mind.

Back