Windows 8 DNS isn't responding - repeating error

Gil80

Extraordinary Member
Hi

Since I got my Win8.1 and Netgear Router R7000 which is connected to Netgear modem ADSL2+ DGND3700,

I'm constanly getting disconnection with the following error "Your DNS Server Isn't Responding"
I need to reboot my modem every time when it happens.

I currently get my DNS from my ISP automatically but I also changed to 8.8.8.8/4.4 to no avail.

I'm not sure if it's Win8.1 or the new R7000 router.

Please help me to figure it out since my ISP did all they could and told me this issue has nothing to do with them :/

First check out your IP con figuration:

Run a command prompt and the command: ipconfig /all

First check out your IP con figuration:

Run a command prompt and the command: ipconfig /all

My ip is set automatically by the ISP and it is static IP.
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GIL-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-CA-E5-EF-0E
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connect
n
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-C8-24-CA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f8ea:d8fe:5040:fbd7%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 197681152
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-85-F0-FB-C8-60-00-C8-24-

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.12.160.35
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMn
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-01
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bdb0:28b:d0a2:a50c%21(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.146.1(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 369119318

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMn
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-C0-00-08
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cc9:7cbd:545c:3582%22(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.222.1(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 402673750

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{59512353-8A84-45A3-94E7-95E53290AC5B}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{2F42CB3E-2F10-4FFB-8221-0B8CA662F6E0}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FB736FAD-768D-4D9B-8173-2B8BD5E46344}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

Correct me if I’m reading this wrong;
You have a “Netgear modem ADSL2+ DGND3700” connected to the wall plug and that has an (internal) address of 192.168.0.1
The “Netgear Router R7000” plugs into the above router and gets its’ ip address from there?

The fault you are describing is typically caused because the dhcp is set incorrectly or there is a mac address conflict.
1. What is the dhcp range of addresses i.e 192.168.0.100 – 192.168.0.200.
2. Is the “Netgear Router R7000” also running dhcp?
3. Does the “Netgear Router R7000” have an ip assigned address from the other router, a fixed ip address or is it set to ghost the first router?

p.s. I assume we are not talking about virtual machines but it is worth noting that dchp predates virtual mac addresses and it’s generally best to set them a fixed mac address which is then reserved in the dhcp.

Pps. Next time this happens, please run ipconfig before you restart the router… I’m willing to bet you have a 169 ip address.

Ok so here is the breakdown:

Wall plug --> DGBD3700 Modem --> R7000 --> PC

ISP provide static IP -->Modem external IP is: 192.168.0.1 --> Modem Internal IP is: 192.168.0.2 --> Router External IP is: 192.168.1.1 --> PC gets 192.168.1.2

Both have DHCP enabled and I don't see any conflict.

The interesting thing is that I disconnected the router R7000 and I'm working only with the modem DGND3700 so R7000 is out of the equation for the time being, and I'm still getting the same error message - 3 times in 2 hours!

I'm not talking about virtual machines :)

Unless you have some over-riding reason for setting static IP address and DNS server addresses I recommend you use DHCP. At the moment you have a number of incompatible settings - for instance, this address/subnet mask pair are incompatible (they are on different subnetworks!):

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.222.1(Preferred)

I assume the value of 222 has been set manually - set all devices to use dhcp and reset the router and they should be allocated compatible ip addresses and subnet masks. If you still have problems remaining check the ipconfig again.

Actually the static IP is from my ISP, I set the modem to Receive Automatically from ISP.
That's true for DNS as well.
So the DHCP allocated the internal IP's, nothing is set by me.

The 192.168.222.1 is for the VM ethernet card but I'm not having issues with the VM.
I'm referring to my physical PC which is on 192.168.0.2

1. You can’t have an external address starting with 192 or 172 because they are reserved for internal addresses only… it doesn’t matter what country you live in as this is an international agreement.
2. A 192 internal network has 253 available addresses (one goes to the router and the other is needed for the broadcast)… if you don’t need more addresses than that then there is no advantage to having two sets of dhcp running and the second router should have it’s dhcp disabled.
3. Dhcp addresses are stored for a time (lease time) and can still conflict even if they are removed because only a dhcp reboot will reset the lease.

The dns conflict is because your pc lives at 192.168.1.2 and your dns is reached from the 1st router which is 192.168.0.1… they are not in the same address range. Have you installed a firewall of some kind to route traffic between the two networks?

Can I ask…What are you trying to achieve here i.e. is this for a work project or are you just mucking around to learn it?

I think you got me wrong and I explained myself poorly :)

The only way to reach the modem's UI is by logging to 192.168.0.1 - that's actually the internal IP so hence my poor explenation :)
The real IP I'm getting from my ISP starts with 17.204.xxxxxx

Currently, my PC is on 192.168.0.2 and not 1.2 as before when I had the R7000 connected.
My PC is connected directly to the modem at the moment.

That is all... I'm not trying to achieve anything special... just to stop getting these DNS server is not responding errors.

1. Set your pc to get its ip from the first router… this step is important to add a lease for it and we can make it a static address later if you want.

2. Log in to the 1st router (typically you use a browser for this) and look for the dhcp settings.
a. You should have a range of address (often called a scope) eg. 192.168.0.100 – 192.168.0.200… for a home system this gives out 100 addresses and as the router lives at .0.1 we want the numbers given out to new machines to be well away from this number i.e make certain that the scope don't give out its own address.
b. Look under clients and you should see the mac address of your pc… assuming {you did 1 above} then the pc will probably be # 0.100 but a ipconfig will confirm the ip address.
c. Make a note of the mac address of your pc as seen from the router interface… the letters are not case sensitive and most browsers will even allow you to copy | paste this which is what I recommend doing.
d. Find the Reservations settings for your dhcp… make a new entry with the mac address from step c above. I recommend giving it 192.168.0.5 or some other number which is lower than the normal range.
e. Depending on what security settings are needed on this network, an exception should be made for the pc ip address so that this computer is allowed to make changes to the router setting. The exact steps for this change from one router to the next and you may not want to do it anyway.

3. Log out of the router and tell it to do a reboot… this is sometimes called a system reset.

4. Shut down (not just restart) the pc and wait for the router to come back online before you boot the pc up again.

5. Open a command console and type ipconfig;
f. If you get 192.168.0.5 or whatever number you set in step d then it worked correctly.
g. A number in the range of 100-200 as step a indicates you made a mac address error at step d.
h. A 169 number says the dhcp failed completely.

6. I recommend keeping the pc on dhcp assigned for most people but if you need a static ip address (generally only needed for people running a legacy server) then set the address to the same one you reserved in step d… 192.168.0.5 in this example.

Note again that dhcp is very old and predates Virtual machines so they can sometimes be seen by the dhcp as having the same mac address as the host… you have vm-ware and they prevent this error by default but it is still worth keeping in mind when trouble shooting dhcp errors.

1. I'm connected only to the modem DGND3700 with my PC. I disconnected the R7000 from the network.
2. PC is configured to obtain IP and DNS automatically.
3. 192.168.0.2 is reserved for my PC using the MAC address of my PC.
4. The modem DGND3700 is also a router and its DHCP is active.
5. I only have static IP from my ISP which I have no control of but for my internal network, only my PC has reserved address as stated earlier in step 3.
6. My connection to the modem is wired.

That should have fixed the issue... any problems just drop another post.

Note that the mac address will be different for the wireless but you can repeat the above to give it say .0.4 when connecting that way or just accept the default number that the dhcp gives it.

Thanks.
One question still remains... If I get the message "The DNS Server Isn't Responding", then that should be an issue with ISP or Modem settings, not windows... since if the problem is with windows configs, that shouldn't bring the entire connection down for the rest of the devices at home.
So what gives?

Can you take a screenshot of the error you get?

You said that you have a static address and I assume 203.12.160.35 (works fine for me btw) is your ip provider… are we discussing a internal error or one you get from outside at an something like an internet café?

This is an internal error... at my home.
Once I'll get this error again I'll send it.

I get this error on random occasions. Suddenly, I cannot browse the web from all devices.

Here we go again... this time a new error... attached screenshot and ipconfig

Attachments

• 2014-07-01 02_02_54-.jpg
    2014-07-01 02_02_54-.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 444
  • Ipconfig.txt.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 477
Ok a proxy server is different to a dns… does your work or school have a proxy server perhaps.

1. Press [windows key] + [x] and select "Control Panel".

2. Change the view type from category to icons and select internet options.

3. Click the "connections" tab and then the "lan Settings".

4. Confirm that all the boxes are unticked.

Attachments

• proxy.png
    proxy.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 607
I'm at home and I don't use proxy. Never set up such a thing.

Internet Settings - Only the Auto Detect Setting was checked. I disabled it for now.

You don't want one... they are an out dated pain in the back side.

btw Those "internet options" settings are for internet explorer, chrome and things like Microsoft updates... if you use firefox then it has it's own lan settings and will need to be set as well.

proxy-firefox.png

Back