Windows 7 DNS release/renew on every bootup?

chaseincats

running the 7 RC x64 at the moment and recently every time i boot up I get local connectivity only and i have to do a ipconfig release and renew before it will work has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Jason

so it boots up with the right IP set up but needs a renew before it works? or its not getting an IP until you renew it?

Have you got the latest ethernet driver for the connection?

I believe it gets an ip just does not have a DNS server until i ipconfig release/renew it

and ya just checked I had the right drivers even uninstall/reinstalled them

lets say that I did indeed have the wrong drivers they wouldnt work after a renew right?

true, so if it gets an I.P. the driver must be good.

Are you sure there is only one DCHP Server on the network? There isnt another conflicting DCHP server set up on a Router or WAP etc which has the DNS missing so that the inital IP assigned isn't from the true DCHP Server?

Does it work ok if you assign a static IP and DNS server or does it still require a renew?

havent tried that yet

but I would like to note that if i unplug the wired and switch onto wireless it connects w/o any problems first try

this is really strange what would you suggest?

well, set it a static address on the lan and see if it holds after a reboot. If it does, forget about it and leave it static lol. You never know it may sort itself out later in time with a windows update for either w7 or the driver...

but youre right - strange!

havent tried that yet

but I would like to note that if i unplug the wired and switch onto wireless it connects w/o any problems first try

this is really strange what would you suggest?

What happens when you unplug the Cat 5 cable and plug it back in? I was having a similar problem with my Marvell Yukon NIC. Sometimes I would get a not connected error but others just a DNS error with local connectivity only. If I unplugged and reconnected most of the time it would fix itself. However, I noticed I had literally thousands of driver errors in the event viewer (26,000+ in 24 hours). I installed the latest NIC drivers from the Marvell web site and the problems all went away.

Back