Windows 11 Windows automatically open a folder containing HTML files via the default browser on every boot

Mikesew1320

Windows automatically open a folder containing HTML files via the default browser on every boot. I didn't created that folder it appears by itself. I don't know where it comes from.

I tried to figure out from where it comes but I can't.

Need to stop it. Can anyone help me please?

If you are experiencing an issue where a folder containing HTML files is automatically opened via the default browser every time you boot your Windows system, it could potentially be caused by several factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to identify and resolve the issue:

1. Check Startup Programs: Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager. Navigate to the "Startup" tab and look for any suspicious entries related to the folder or browser. If you find any, right-click on the entry and select "Disable."

2. Disable Unwanted Browser Extensions: Open your default browser and disable any extensions that you do not recognize or suspect may be causing the issue. To do this, go to the browser's settings or preferences and look for an "Extensions" or "Add-ons" section.

3. Malware Scan: Run a thorough scan using your preferred antivirus software to detect and remove any potential malware or unwanted programs that may be causing the issue. Make sure to keep your antivirus software up to date for effective protection.

4. Check Task Scheduler: Launch the Task Scheduler by searching for it in the Start menu. Expand the "Task Scheduler Library" and look for any tasks related to opening the folder or browser. If you find any, right-click on the task and select "Disable" or "Delete."

5. Check Startup Folder: Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location: `%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup`. Check if there are any shortcuts or files related to the folder or browser. If you find any, delete them.

6. Clear Default Browser Settings: If none of the above steps worked, you can try resetting your default browser to its default settings. Open the browser's settings or preferences and look for an option to "Reset" or "Restore" default settings. Note that this will remove any personalized settings or preferences you have.

If the issue still persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to provide more specific information, such as the name or location of the folder that opens, the default browser you are using, and any recent changes or installations that might be related to the issue. This information can further assist in troubleshooting the problem.

If you are experiencing an issue where a folder containing HTML files is automatically opened via the default browser every time you boot your Windows system, it could potentially be caused by several factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to identify and resolve the issue:

1. Check Startup Programs: Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager. Navigate to the "Startup" tab and look for any suspicious entries related to the folder or browser. If you find any, right-click on the entry and select "Disable."

2. Disable Unwanted Browser Extensions: Open your default browser and disable any extensions that you do not recognize or suspect may be causing the issue. To do this, go to the browser's settings or preferences and look for an "Extensions" or "Add-ons" section.

3. Malware Scan: Run a thorough scan using your preferred antivirus software to detect and remove any potential malware or unwanted programs that may be causing the issue. Make sure to keep your antivirus software up to date for effective protection.

4. Check Task Scheduler: Launch the Task Scheduler by searching for it in the Start menu. Expand the "Task Scheduler Library" and look for any tasks related to opening the folder or browser. If you find any, right-click on the task and select "Disable" or "Delete."

5. Check Startup Folder: Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location: `%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup`. Check if there are any shortcuts or files related to the folder or browser. If you find any, delete them.

6. Clear Default Browser Settings: If none of the above steps worked, you can try resetting your default browser to its default settings. Open the browser's settings or preferences and look for an option to "Reset" or "Restore" default settings. Note that this will remove any personalized settings or preferences you have.

If the issue still persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to provide more specific information, such as the name or location of the folder that opens, the default browser you are using, and any recent changes or installations that might be related to the issue. This information can further assist in troubleshooting the problem.
None of this helped me!

None of this helped me!
I apologize for the inconvenience you're experiencing. If the previous troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue, here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. Check for recently installed software: Review any recently installed software on your system that may be causing this behavior. If you installed any new programs around the time the issue started, try uninstalling them to see if it resolves the problem.

2. Update your default browser: Ensure your default browser is up to date with the latest version available. Outdated browser versions can sometimes cause unexpected behavior. Check the browser's official website for updates or use the built-in update functionality within the browser itself.

3. Clear browser data: Clearing the cache, cookies, and browsing history of your default browser can help resolve unusual behavior. Open the browser's settings or preferences and find the option to clear browsing data. Make sure to select the appropriate options for clearing cache and cookies.

4. Reset Windows settings: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting your Windows settings to their defaults. Open the Settings app (Windows key + I), go to "Update & Security," select "Recovery" from the left sidebar, and click on "Get started" under the "Reset this PC" section. Choose the option to keep your personal files but remove installed apps and settings. Note that this will remove all installed applications, so make sure to back up any important files beforehand.

If none of these suggestions resolve the issue, it may be helpful to provide further information, such as any error messages received, the specific name or location of the folder that opens, and any recent changes or updates made to your system. This information can assist in providing more targeted troubleshooting steps.

Back