Windows 7 DNS / Server not found errors in Windows 7

ewsfu

Hi,

Very frequently, I have started to get "Server not found" and "Page cannot be found" errors in Firefox (3.6) and Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 64x Home Premium System.

I use OpenDNS (configured within the router itself by specifying OpenDNS IP addresses for DNS servers) and also do NOT use IPV6. (only IPv4).

I strongly suspect that the errors have something to do with DNS cache or some settings in Windows 7 networking configuration rather than any issue with Firefox or Internet Explorer 8.

If anyone else has faced same or similar problem and resolved it successfully, any help will be appreciated.

Thanking in advance,

have you verified the IP addresses for OpenDNS?

do you have any other machines to test the connection with?

have you tried ipconfig/flushdns?

have you verified the IP addresses for OpenDNS?

do you have any other machines to test the connection with?

have you tried ipconfig/flushdns?

Yes, I checked the IP addresses for OpenDNS in the router and also confirmed public IP by going to OpenDNS website in my account and ensuring that my public ISP provided IP address is reflecting there.

When I use it from other Windows 7 machine (laptop), it works fine. That also has to go through same router for internet so the settings used are same. At laptop (or desktop where the problem is) end, it is simply automatically obtain IP address and DNS addresses (which it does from router).

I did try ipconfig/flushdns and I also periodically (every two days at minimum) use CCleaner to clear temporary files (and have checked the flush DNS cache option in CCleaner).

I tried to disable IPV6 in Network Properties for the connection to see if it caused any problem. No luck there.

Hi,

Very frequently, I have started to get "Server not found" and "Page cannot be found" errors in Firefox (3.6) and Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7 64x Home Premium System.

I use OpenDNS (configured within the router itself by specifying OpenDNS IP addresses for DNS servers) and also do NOT use IPV6. (only IPv4).

I strongly suspect that the errors have something to do with DNS cache or some settings in Windows 7 networking configuration rather than any issue with Firefox or Internet Explorer 8.

If anyone else has faced same or similar problem and resolved it successfully, any help will be appreciated.

Thanking in advance,

are your NIC drivers up to date ?

can you please post a screenshot of ipconfig /all ?

Also you might check and make sure that neither browser is looking for a non-existant proxy server. In IE8, go to tools, internet options, connections tab, lan settings button. Assuming you're not using any proxy server uncheck all boxes, if you are using a proxy server then of course make sure the settings are correct for your use.

Back