Windows 10 Do I actually need to upgrade from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

cloggyjohn

Extraordinary Member
I've been running W10 ( alongside W8.1 Pro ) ever since the first technical preview and now have an activated W10 Pro ( insider preview ). Is this the final version or do I still need to upgrade from W8.1 ?

If you mean an insider preview version then it will eventually timebomb. To get your free copy of the RTM you need to upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8.1. or buy a copy yourself. As far as I'm aware no insider preview builds will upgrade to the RTM version and will eventually timebomb.

If you mean an insider preview version then it will eventually timebomb. To get your free copy of the RTM you need to upgrade from either Windows 7 or 8.1. or buy a copy yourself. As far as I'm aware no insider preview builds will upgrade to the RTM version and will eventually timebomb.

As I understand it, users who took part in the IP programme received a free final version of W10 which would obviate the need to upgrade from W8.1.

As I understand it, users who took part in the IP programme received a free final version of W10 which would obviate the need to upgrade from W8.1.

This obviously isn't the case, just managed to contact MS and according to them I need to upgrade from W8.1. But tThanks for the quick reply.

The general feeling is you need to update from a Qualified OS, which means installing over that OS.

But nothing is stopping you from continuing on your current path and see what happens. The one quirk in this might be if you had upgraded earlier in the program, that upgrade might allow your install to stay activated... still waiting to make sure.

This obviously isn't the case, just managed to contact MS and according to them I need to upgrade from W8.1. But tThanks for the quick reply.
Yup as I mentioned above you need to upgrade. All other previews will eventually timebomb.

Regarding old preview builds pre July 29th:
The Insider Preview program will continue after the launch of Windows 10 on July 29, 2015.

All preview builds released in 2014 have already expired. Beginning with the January 2015 release, build 9926, the license for the preview edition expires on October 1, 2015, at 4:59 PM. On October 15, 2015, those builds will no longer boot.

The final release removes the expiration date completely. New builds, post-launch, should have an expiration date in early 2016.
Windows 10: You've got questions, I've got answers | ZDNet

Back
Top Bottom