Windows 7 Do you guys like the new taskbar at all?

I have the WMP icon pinned to my taskbar, and that seems to work good enough for me. Just one click and I have it on my screen.

If you read post #56, I stated:

One problem, it disappears if you uncheck it. I'm working on that one.

But even after you disabled quick launch the new taskbar should still have the ability to add items. If Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer are no longer there, simply navigate to the folder that contains the executable file, right-click on it and choose Pin to taskbar.

Pros: I like the new taskbar. unlike the previous Windows that creates each open file its own icon in taskbar, the new one just creates one for the same program even if we open many files of the same program.

Cons: Many times, by accident, I removed my taskbar icons. Even if we lock the taskbar, we can still remove dan unpin all the icons in taskbar. I wish they change it. meaning to say, once we lock it, we cannot change or unpin or remove the icons. We only can do so if we unlock the taskbar.

Cheer for all!

Is there a way to:

1. Reduce the size of the added icons in the task bar?
They use up too much of my little screen on my notebook.
The start / desktop icons are big enough - we don't need them big for detail.

2. Move the desktop icon from the bottom right corner to the left next to the Start button?

3. Remove EN - I orlreeedy knows I speec "eengleesh"

Suggestions very welcome.

Other than that the stacking takes a bit of getting used to but has merits.

Is there a way to:

Right-click on the, choose propties, then check the box Use small icons
Right-click on the Start butonn, choose Customize, scrool down untill uyou see Use Large icons and uncheck it.

2. Move the desktop icon from the bottom right corner to the left next to the Start button?
Not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?

Go to Control panel > Region and Language, click the Keyboards and Language tab, , cllick Change keyboard and revove an other language from the Keyboard section.

Is there a way to:

Suggestions very welcome.

Other than that the stacking takes a bit of getting used to but has merits.

1. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar, click Properties, check "Use small icons" and click OK.

2. You can't get rid of the one on the right, but you can bring back the old-style Show desktop icon by bringing back the Quick Launch toolbar. Right-click an empty area of the taskbar, point to Toolbars, click "New toolbar...", and type "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" (without quotation marks.) Right-click the taskbar and make sure "Lock the taskbar" is not checked. Drag the bar on the left of the new toolbar all the way to the Start button. Drag the Show desktop icon to the far left of the new toolbar. Drag the bar on the right of the new toolbar to the left until the new toolbar stops shrinking. Relock the taskbar if desired.

Sorry,

I've made some modifications to my taskbar, but isn't there an option when you right-click on the taskbar to choose Small Icons?

Obviously i can't spell either.:rolleyes:

OK,

Thanks, I was trying some registry hacks I had from years back to see if they work on Windows 7 and I no longer have that option.

I like everything about the new taskbar except having programs pinned to it. I like to have only currently running programs there. If I was running a few programs that aren't pinned to it along with the pinned programs there would be buttons all the way across. That's way too much in my opinion. So I activated the Quick Launch Bar then unpinned all the programs from it. Now I think it's awesome. I love the Aero Preview feature.

I also set it up with a "Computer" button that makes it easy to find any file in my computer without having to go through Windows explorer. This is something I have always done since using XP.

Suggestion

Hey, maybe it's just me, but I've noticed myself hovering over windows with Aero peek until it's the only one that appears on the desktop. Instead of clicking on the icon (what my mouse is currently over with aero peek), if it's the one that I want, I try to move the mouse over to the window itself, and usually when I click where the window just was, I end up clicking some other application.

Perhaps an option can be added to foreground the window if the user quickly moves the mouse over the shown window?

Hello and welcome,

I understand what you mean, but Microsoft has no plans of changing anything at this moment. as it's very close to the RTM release.

I love it. Expeccialy since like when i have to restart stuff like msn or want to start skype i have to go through 3 menus to find it in the start menu. Now i just click it in the superbar.

Taskbar icons white?

My wireless strength of signal indicator is white on the lower right corner, and I cannot tell if there is a signal.
If I click on the icon, it opens up the pop up panel and I see the color versions of the network signal strength.
Is this the way it is supposed to behave?
I also miss the small icon that shows when transmission over the network is occuring. Is that gone or am I missing a setting and cannot find it?

Thanks!

nope that is how it works. I think but i' can't know for sure that this is because with todays network structures there is almost always something going on especially with media sharing and the like. Also now that everyone is at least on the 802.11b spec signal strength is not as important to speed the icon does change states just not with signal strength. Look at it whaen you first start windows look at it before the connection is up.

No I don't like the new task bar menu. I added a quick launch bar and change some other settings so now its very simular to the task bar in xp, I'm quite happy with it now.

My wireless strength of signal indicator is white on the lower right corner, and I cannot tell if there is a signal.
If I click on the icon, it opens up the pop up panel and I see the color versions of the network signal strength.
Is this the way it is supposed to behave?
I also miss the small icon that shows when transmission over the network is occuring. Is that gone or am I missing a setting and cannot find it?

Thanks!

The wifi signal strength meter and also the action center flag appear white on my setup. Don't understand why, but they are. I have a couple of computers over 100 ft from the router, so I can explain more about the meter. If it is all white, that is maximum. If the signal strength is less than maximum, some of the bars will be white and some (the taller ones) will have no color. (Just the outline of the bar.) If your indicator is all white, that is maximum strength. It makes the meter harder to read the way it is, but sometimes I wonder if the people who design these things can read, anyway.

As texture pointed out, if you have no signal at all, the bars are outlined in red.

Maybe someone else can tune in here and answer your question about the "activity" icon; I never paid any attention.

The wifi signal strength meter and also the action center flag appear white on my setup. Don't understand why, but they are. I have a couple of computers over 100 ft from the router, so I can explain more about the meter. If it is all white, that is maximum. If the signal strength is less than maximum, some of the bars will be white and some (the taller ones) will have no color. (Just the outline of the bar.) If your indicator is all white, that is maximum strength. It makes the meter harder to read the way it is, but sometimes I wonder if the people who design these things can read, anyway.

As texture pointed out, if you have no signal at all, the bars are outlined in red.

Maybe someone else can tune in here and answer your question about the "activity" icon; I never paid any attention.
It must just show the last 4 bars because my signal is always a little low (my adapter is behind some things in my closet)
and mine always reads full (that or it's not working)
smile.gif

Back