Windows 7 Do You Use Windows 7 Back-Up?

alfred01

Fantastic Member
Hello. I was just wondering if you use the built-in Windows 7 back-up utility and what you think of it. I don't know much about computers and need something to use for back-up that kinda does it itself. I don't even know if that's an accurate description of Windows 7 back-up. Thanks to anyone who can share their experience with me.

David

I use the built in windows backup, is nice and easy to setup. Does the job. I create a system image and then do incremental updates.

I use the built in windows backup, is nice and easy to setup. Does the job. I create a system image and then do incremental updates.

Thank You nmsuk. First let me congratulate you on your promotion. Now, if you don't mind me asking you a couple questions. Where does it save the backup to and is this place accessable if you have a system crash and you can just reinstall from this backup.

Thanks, David

You can configure it to the store the backups where you want eg removable usb hdd, yes you can restore with the images. Using a windows 7 restore disc. You can create the windows restore boot disk from within the backup util.

Hi

Me too, and my Windows 7 restore disk boots my computer and accesses it with no problems.
I've never actually had to use it but I'm pretty sure it would work it it needed to.

Which reminds me, it's time to update my backups.

Mike

Hi All;

I do use win 7's built in backup utility in addition to using Acronis (just in case) and find each has both its pro's and con's but over all I think I like Acronis a bit more. If the OS is "stuffed" and one does not have the win 7 dvd (a common occurrence these days) Acronis is a clear winner.

JMH

yes you can restore with the images. Using a windows 7 restore disc. You can create the windows restore boot disk from within the backup util.

This is where I get confused. In the Backup and Restore utility I can create a System Repair Disk which I believe is different than a restore disk. Or are you talking about System Image which I don't create on a disk. I also have System Recovery Disks created but I know those are different.

View attachment 15418

Hi

If I remember this correctly the System Repair Disk will boot your computer and let you access your system image which is saved elsewhere.
I.e. on an external hard drive or DVDs.

You still need to create the backup separately but the System Repair Disk will let you restore a computer that's unbootable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A system Restore Disk it a copy of the operating system, that you can create on computers that come to you without a Windows Install disk.
I'm afraid this is true of most new computers now.

It shouldn't be, every computer should come with a Windows Installation disk.
Too many people never get around to creating the Restore Disk and when there computer crashes they have no easy way of restoring Windows.

Mike

If I remember this correctly the System Repair Disk will boot your computer and let you access your system image which is saved elsewhere.
I.e. on an external hard drive.

You still need to create the backup separately but the System Restore Disk will let you restore a computer that's unbootable.

Mike

I hope I'm not completely missing something but it's clear that the System Repair Disk is created in Backup&Restore. Then you mention a System Restore Disk. Where is this disk created?

Hi

Usually on new computers there is a utility someplace that starts the process.
This is added by the Manufacturer I think and is not really part of Windows.

On my wife's Dell there was a link in the list when you open the Start Menu that said something like Create System Restore Disks.

When you clicked on it it told you to label a DVD, System Restore 1 or something like that, and insert it in the drive, then is said Next and started coping the Windows Installation files to the DVD, I think it took two disks on my wife's computer.

You don't need to do this if your computer came with a real Windows Install disk as my computer did, but on lap tops they usually don't.

What kind of Computer do you have?
You could try going to you computer manufacturer's site and look for Create System Restore Disks and see what you find.
I know Dell has a page devoted to this. The terminology is kind of mixed I think they call it a System Recovery Disk.

Note that running a system Restore usually formats the hard drive and installs a new copy of Windows so you don't want to do it unless it's the last resort.

Mike

I have a HP desktop and it didn't come with any Windows disks. I really don't know too many that do so if you got one that's good. Even my desktop I bought seven years ago didn't come with genuine disks.

When I first got this computer I created what HP calls "Recovery Disks" which took 3 DVDs. So that's the same as what you did with your wifes computer. The "System Repair Disk" is what I created in the Backup and Restore utility. So I guess my "Recovery Disks" is what this thread is calling "Restore Disks". Using the "Recovery Disk" will put it back to factory condition. The "Repair Disk" just repairs Windows. And on top of that I have a recovery partition to use as well. It gets confusing for sure.

Back