Windows 10 Does Windows 10??

Kiwidon

On my Laptop I upgraded to Windows 8 - back in 2011. Prior to the upgrade when travelling overseas I was able to download onto CD discs my original music. Because I wanted to save space - I would only take with me a bunch of printed covers and then purchase blank CD'S and cases wherever I was overseas. I would then download my music onto the discs add the covers and I had my music CD which I personally autographed. Back in 2011 I arrived in Ireland and with the new upgrade I found that I couldn't download my music to the blank CD's. I even took my Laptop to a computer company near Limerick - explained the situation - they spent hours trying to get my laptop to print but to no avail. They even tried going back to the previous version - something that Windows had added stopped my Laptop from downloading my music to a blank CD. The last few years I have had to copy my music to CD's from my home computer I am typing this on - which is still on the pre windows 8 version. Nearly every other day I keep getting requests to up-grade to Windows 10 on my home computer and also my laptop. I am off to the USA for 2 months in June and I hate to have to carry a small suitcase of recorded CD's - Does Windows 10 allow me to download "MY" music to blank CD's or not ?? I can understand why Windows stopped the ability to download music to a blank CD - ( to protect artists ) but it also affects us that - are struggling making our own music.
In anticipation of a positive outcome?

wow so many legal issues ... to answer the computer question yes WX does allow you to copy music onto cd (dvd {+ -} by region) but the problem is downloading it from the internet adds software to the file so the software needs to allow for that.

another option is purchase a windows 7 or windows 8.1 (whatever you are better on) system/ laptop and just block the upgrade nagware Microsoft puts out... you still need to match the region code for the area you are in but the software puts less blocks in your way.

USSNORWAY
Thank you for your response - You mention """you still need to match the region code for the area you are in"""
Are you meaning that if I go back to Windows 7 It will only work in the Country or region I downloaded it in??
And out on the road say in the UK or USA it wont work?? It use to work on my Laptop and The Computer Wizz in
Limerick tried to back-load ( if that's the term ) the previous windows but it too was now blocking my creating of Cd's.
When I travel - there is only two of us - If the Airline mislays suitcase of Cd's ( the past few years I haven't had a problem)
but if they do - I am up a creek without a paddle so to speak.. and I don't have a backup. I do not want to convert my home computer
to test if Windows 10 stops me downloading my music to a blank CD - and if it does and I go back to my current version - I end up with something in my computer like happened on my laptop which wont allow me to download.
Regards
Don

Hi

Where do you download your music from?

What format do you save your music in?
I probably do it differently than you, but I save all my music in Mp3 format.

I convert all the files, I.e. music from iTunes as soon as I get it.
Once converted I can just handle it as files, just copy them to a disk in file manager.
I save all the masters in several places so that they are backed up in their original formats.

I have one music cd that has 175 pieces of music on it, it can play for over 10 hours.
Everything I have will play them, my DVD player all my computers my iPad Kindle, even my car audio systems.

Check out Sound Taxi, I'm pretty sure that it will convert pretty much any kind of sound file.
Though even iTunes has a built in utility to convert their downloaded files to Mp3 now.

I've never checked but one DVD would hold a whole lot of music files.

If you are saying that your computer won't write anything to a CD or DVD then it will probably work after upgrading.

If it doesn't then something is wrong with your computer and you might need to replace the drive.

Mike

And to answer your original question I don't know any reason that Windows 10 wouldn't write your files to disk in the normal way.

Last edited:
Tip; when you convert music from one file type to another, always unpack it to a wave file first.

Are you meaning that if I go back to Windows 7 It will only work in the Country or region I downloaded it in??
And out on the road say in the UK or USA it wont work??

yes, you have to match the dvd player to the disc and the disc format to the country standard...
DVD Formats Explained - Webopedia.com

Limerick tried to back-load ( if that's the term ) the previous windows but it too was now blocking my creating of Cd's.
Wx can't be rolled back because Microsoft wants people to use it instead of the old software so they force the build.

p.s, you need to make a back up image that you can boot to in event of disaster... takes the stress out of life mate.

Hi

As Ussnorway said make a backup image of your Windows drive.

I uses EaseUS Todo Backup.
It'a free, it works great, and it's really easy to use.
Don't forget to make the boot disk once you get it installed, it's under the Tools tab.\

And after you have updated make a new one of you Windows 10 install.

Mike

Mike
Thank you for the info - My music is loaded mp3 - and I make copies. After thinking about the responses above I think what
USSNORWAY might have been getting at - Re the Computer guys in Limerick - they were unable to re-load the Windows 7
because my Laptop is setup for where I live in the Southern Hemisphere and they of course were in Ireland in the Northern Hemisphere.
On a trip last year I purchased a couple of DVD Movies in England - Once home I could not play them because of a different format something
or other - So I guess that is what the problem was in trying to re-install the Windows 7 in Ireland as it might have been in another type format????? Sorry but I am not a computer whizz -
Regards and thanks
Don

Hi

I guess I misunderstood I thought you were just trying to write you music files on your computer to disks?

I'm pretty sure that there is no region coding on audio CDs.
That's mostly a video format thing as apllies to DVDs.

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, Mp3 file format is fine over the internet however Mp4 does have embedded code options and that is in fact the only difference between an Mp3 or Mp4 file i.e, there is zero improvement in audio quality.

Cd and more commonly dvd do have extensive (higher level) format options such as –r, +r and –rw to name some of the main ones. You must purchase a disc type that your burner can recognise and of course it has to match the customers player code for them to use it… different countries tend to have their own manufacturers favourite format with a monopoly so its only normally a problem for people that travel across boarders.

The windows X machine allows burning of cd and dvd and it is just a case of trial and error to find the best software for what you need… two hundred single copy runs tend to become a job for stack racks (10 at a time) imo but its your life.

If you take the computer to a shop in the US they should be able to help you recover the old system files (assumes you still want to go back to w7) or at least install a good back up option.

p.s, the legality of bypassing region codes depends greatly on the country and there are differences between two dvd for personal use and a suitcase full of two hundred dvd for sale to the general public when explaining yourself to customs officers… I suspect Don is declaring this as his or her own music but that still leaves tax and general customer satisfaction as possible hick ups.

Back