Windows 8 Does your Bluetooth most just stop working in Windows 8.1?

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
Well mine certainly does.. When it quits I simply turn the mouse off and then on again. Doesn't figure as it worked in Windows 8 but, it refuses to work correctly in Windows 8.1. And more than that my mouse is a Microsoft Sculpt Touch mouse. Hear that Redmond!!!! Please excuse the typo in the subject line!!!

My Dell Bluetooth mouse worked fine with 8 and works equally well after the upgrade to 8.1. I'm using it with an el cheapo USB Bluetooth dongle since my laptop doesn't have BT built-in.

That might be the problem right there, the compatibility of the usb bluetooth dongle. Using that mouse with the usb bluetooth dongle kind of defeats the purpose of the bluetooth mouse. If you have to use a usb dongle, why not just get a wireless mouse.

That might be the problem right there, the compatibility of the usb bluetooth dongle. Using that mouse with the usb bluetooth dongle kind of defeats the purpose of the bluetooth mouse. If you have to use a usb dongle, why not just get a wireless mouse.
Huh? We don't know if the OP is using a USB BT dongle or not.

If your reply was directed at me since I stated I use a USB dongle, then it makes no sense whatsoever since I don't have a problem. I'm curious though, why would using a dongle defeat the purpose of a BT mouse? I would never suggest someone use a wireless mouse and it's associated dongle instead of BT since a wireless mouse is a one-trick-pony while BT has far more capabilities.

Huh? We don't know if the OP is using a USB BT dongle or not.

If your reply was directed at me since I stated I use a USB dongle, then it makes no sense whatsoever since I don't have a problem. I'm curious though, why would using a dongle defeat the purpose of a BT mouse? I would never suggest someone use a wireless mouse and it's associated dongle instead of BT since a wireless mouse is a one-trick-pony while BT has far more capabilities.

Sorry dude...thought you were the OP....I got caught up in the thread.

If it is a Microsoft product, then it can't be a driver issue. Look at the possible problem with frequency/signal interference from wireless devices around you (like smartphones beside your mouse, etc.).

Yeah but, it really does not get the problem fixed. It would appear since nothing has been forthcoming from uncle Microsoft, that they might be trying kill off their mice too. I believe Paul Thurrott had an article about the fact that Microsoft was still trying to use some old drivers in their new operating system. If true and I don't know the answer to that, shame on them. If they are trying to kill off their own hardware, I wish they would be so kind as to say something so that people would not buy something that will not work right or work at all. If I remember correctly there are parts of this mouse setup, that still have dates back to 2006. That is why I wonder what they are up to. Oh the sculpt mouse does not use a dongle. Later and be well.

Last edited:
I just got done checking my Bluetooth adaptor. Since it spotted my neighbor computer and cell phone, I suspect the adaptor is just fine.

Just found this thread. I've had TWO fails of my Logitech Bluetooth MX5500 Mouse/Keyboard combo under Win 8.1 since I upgraded. NEVER has this happen on the older OS's on this computer, Vista and W7 (all are 64 bit).

This first time it happened was about 3 weeks ago. I was using the mouse and all of a sudden it stopped working. So I just used the power button to re-boot the computer and it was working OK. Thought it was a glitch.

Last week, when the computer powered up, no mouse nor keyboard (keyboard said NO CONNECTION in its display). I tried to re-connect the mouse and keyboard but it didn't work using the button on the dongle and the mouse and keyboard. I then pulled the USB dongle and heard the familiar 'ding' when USB devices are plugged in or removed. Since this was on a USB port on the back and hard to reach, I placed the dongle on my display that has a USB port. Immediately the device was recognized and re-connected.

Has NOT occurred since.

I've reported this on the Logitech forum too and no answer. I was wondering if I had/have a h/w problem, either the USB port or possibly the dongle? It could be within W8.1 too. I've got some stand-alone DVD's and I've booted those, mouse and keyboard does work with them.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a W8.1 problem.

I know what it's like! There does seem to be a fix as of yet for me and who lot of other people. What I believe might be causing at least mine anyway, are old drivers either on the mouse end or perhaps the operating system itself. I can give you an exact time mine quits but, you can bet that I have turn mouse off and on again several times a day. I don't like but, what I really do not care (and who would) is a $50.00 doorstop. Hopefully we might get some relief in the near future, I hope so. Later!

Besides changing USB ports I did delete and reinstall the Setpoint s/w for the combo. I did have many drivers that had to be reloaded after the install/upgrade of W8.1. My ATI legacy driver wouldn't activate the Catalyst Control Center. Reloading that didn't help, but the Beta driver does work.

I also experienced my WIRED NIC wouldn't always connect on boot. It would after boot if I disabled and enabled it, and this too happened randomly. Reloading and even changing drivers didn't fix it, it was happening about 1/3 the times I'd boot. What DID fix it was putting in a NEW CAT5e cable? Don't understand how a cable could go bad concurrent with the install of W8.1?

Right now, I'm sort of tending to blame these 2 on W8.1, not the computer ports or other h/w attached to it.

Back