Windows 7 Doing a clean install from an upgrade copy

cor-master

I need to re-install my windows installation. Long story but I'm pretty sure the initial installion installed with many errors, resulting in memory problems and windows update problems.

Problem is my copy of 7 is an upgrade copy. I did a "hard" upgrade from XP 64-bit to Windows 7. Basically it wouldn't directly upgrade instead it just whiped the hard drive anyway and left all the XP files in a folder called "windows.old". However I first tried to clean install the copy and it wouldn't accept the product key.

Now I wanna re-install Windows 7, especially since i know more now about what I'm doing and how to install it with no issues, but am I going to have to go through the process of putting XP 64-bit on again to do it or is there a way I can just flat out re-install it without even bothering? Seems like a waste of time since its just going to whipe it away anyway!

I think the upgrade disk will boot... but it won't take your upgrade key when you do a clean install without some trickery. Look around and you'll find the steps to edit your registry and run rearm and reboot then it will take the upgrade key. If you can't boot from your upgade disk you can go to my blogs and use the link to get the full install ISO from Microsoft.. then delete ei.cfg before you burn it... when you install match the version to your key and it will take the key first time with no tweaking.

I think the upgrade disk will boot... but it won't take your upgrade key when you do a clean install without some trickery. Look around and you'll find the steps to edit your registry and run rearm and reboot then it will take the upgrade key. If you can't boot from your upgade disk you can go to my blogs and use the link to get the full install ISO from Microsoft.. then delete ei.cfg before you burn it... when you install match the version to your key and it will take the key first time with no tweaking.
Your upgrade disk is bootable, been there done that. If you don't want to hack your registry, just install Win7 w/o a key and then install again (choose upgrade from within Win7) with an upgrade key. Full version ISO's or Retail Disks w/o ei.cfg will accept upgrade keys but won't activate. Sorry about that..... been there, tried that.

Last edited:
Nah from my understanding all discs are the same... they are unique by their version: Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, but Upgrade/OEM/Retail its all the same, only the Key is what makes it unique. I already tried to do a fresh install with the upgrade copy, but it wouldn't take the key, so I installed XP 64-bit and then upgraded from it.

I do know I've whiped people's HP's, Dell's and Compaqs by just sticking in the disc of whatever version of windows it was, and using the Key on the side of the case.

Nah from my understanding all discs are the same... they are unique by their version: Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, but Upgrade/OEM/Retail its all the same, only the Key is what makes it unique. I already tried to do a fresh install with the upgrade copy, but it wouldn't take the key, so I installed XP 64-bit and then upgraded from it.

I do know I've whiped people's HP's, Dell's and Compaqs by just sticking in the disc of whatever version of windows it was, and using the Key on the side of the case.

There are only 2 disks... 64 and 32 bit

if you have an upgrade KEY .... you have to first MATCH the version... ie..... premium, pro, ultimate to your key when you install.

THEN to do a clean install - you have to do one of two trick...

1. delete ei.cfg .... install and tell it which key you have - so it installs the correct version... the key will activate first time. At least it did for me ... on a system with ONLY one formatted hard drive... nothing else it could have possible found to indicate I was updating.

Second option: install .. press enter when asked for keycode to go into the 30 day trial and then do the registry tweaks, run rearm and reboot. the key will activate

Neither trick requires a second install.... or any other os, or any other disk .. or full version key.

Your upgrade disk is bootable, been there done that. If you don't want to hack your registry, just install Win7 w/o a key and then install again (choose upgrade from within Win7) with an upgrade key. Full version ISO's or Retail Disks w/o ei.cfg will accept upgrade keys but won't activate. Sorry about that..... been there, tried that.

worked for me

Back