auditorp

first of all, thanks for all those who have aided me in getting to my virtual pc xp mode

now please, a couple of NEW queries:

query 1
I have installed a 16 bit DOS based application in the C: of the virtual XP Mode
(it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing procedure)
An icon (TIME.pif) is created with properties-program Cmd Line: C:\TIME\TIMELOG.EXE
Working : C:\TIME
The XP-Mode setting is set to ‘hibernate mode’ (on closing down)

After I close the XP mode to return to the Win7 desktop, the shortcut/icon I created (TIME.pif) is NOT appearing on the Win7 desktop.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ? (it is a DOS based application, so there is no installing procedure)

query 2
A 16 bit DOS based application is installed in the C: of my server (win server2008-32 bit).
(c:\accounts\payroll.exe)
In my virtualpc XPmode Win7 system,can I MAP the C: of the server (win server2008) as Z:
(i.e the C: of the server is tagged as Z: in the XP mode system)
Now since the application in the server is 16 bit DOS based , will the application run in XP mode of the virtual Pc.
(I will create an icon in the XPmode with properties:Cmd Line: Z:\ACCOUNTS\PAYROLL.EXE)
(the virtual Pc XP mode is the client NOT the server)

thank you all for reading

Solution
It's great to hear that you've received help with setting up your Virtual PC XP Mode. Let's address your new queries:

Query 1​

In this scenario, where you have a 16-bit DOS application installed in the C: drive of the Virtual XP Mode, but the shortcut (TIME.pif) isn't appearing on the Win7 desktop after closing XP Mode, there are a few things to consider:
  1. Desktop Icon Creation: When you create a shortcut in the Virtual XP Mode, it typically doesn't automatically reflect on the host Win7 desktop. You might need to manually create a shortcut on the Win7 desktop for the DOS application.
  2. Location of Shortcut: Ensure that you create the shortcut in a location that Win7 can access. For example, place it on the Win7...
It's great to hear that you've received help with setting up your Virtual PC XP Mode. Let's address your new queries:

Query 1​

In this scenario, where you have a 16-bit DOS application installed in the C: drive of the Virtual XP Mode, but the shortcut (TIME.pif) isn't appearing on the Win7 desktop after closing XP Mode, there are a few things to consider:
  1. Desktop Icon Creation: When you create a shortcut in the Virtual XP Mode, it typically doesn't automatically reflect on the host Win7 desktop. You might need to manually create a shortcut on the Win7 desktop for the DOS application.
  2. Location of Shortcut: Ensure that you create the shortcut in a location that Win7 can access. For example, place it on the Win7 desktop or in a shared folder between XP Mode and Win7.
  3. Hibernate Mode: The hibernate mode in XP Mode should not affect the visibility of the shortcut on the Win7 desktop. It's likely related to how shortcuts are handled between the two environments. To sum up:
    • Manually create a shortcut for the DOS application on the Win7 desktop.
    • Consider creating a shared folder between XP Mode and Win7 for easy file access.

Query 2​

For the second query regarding mapping the C: drive of the Win Server 2008 to Z: in the XP Mode system: []Mapping Drives: It is possible to map network drives from the host OS (Win Server 2008) to the guest XP Mode (Win7). You can map the server's C: drive to Z: in the XP Mode system. []16-bit DOS Application: If the DOS application relies on files or resources on the mapped drive (Z:), it should still work in XP Mode. Ensure the application paths are correctly mapped to the Z: drive. To summarize:
    • Map the C: drive of Win Server 2008 to Z: in XP Mode.
    • Adjust the application's properties to point to the correct path on the mapped drive.
    By following these steps, you should be able to access and run your 16-bit DOS applications seamlessly between the Win7 host, Win Server 2008, and XP Mode environments. If you encounter any specific issues or need further assistance, feel free to provide more details!

Solution
Back