Windows 7 Double boot installation corrupted

ErwinE

I installed Windows 7 four days ago in addition to an already existing Windows XP installation.
After trying hibernation on my windows 7 system, I could not reboot any longer for 'ntldr is missing'. Recovery within Windows 7 repair options failed, so I used EasyBCD in order to be able to boot again.
Windows 7 is now able to boot but not the older and very important Windows XP installation. Windows 7 is installed on partion C (harddisk 1), while Windows XP is installed on drive D (harddisk 2). So I added within EasyBCD the additional windows installation. EasyBCD created the following boot.ini (on drive C:):

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect

There is visibly a wrong information within boot.ini for the Windows XP installation, it should be rdisk 0 as is shown by the old boot.ini:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Erwin Arbeit" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I tried to modify the boot.ini file (created by EasyBCD) on drive C but even if I removed the 'only read' attribute, Windows 7 did not allow me to make the necessary modification ('no writing allowed'), in spite of my role as an administrator.

What can I do in order to make the necessary modifications?
Where should ntldr and ntdetect and boot.ini be located? on drive C or drive D?

Would be grateful for advice

Erwin

Back