Download Android and iOS Mobile Apps for Windows Forums

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
For the first time, we are able to provide Apple iPhone and iPad users with access to WindowsForums.com through the iTunes Store. We recognize that not all Windows users run the operating system exclusively, and many individuals, as well as organizations, may need to access the website from a mobile device like the iPhone or iPad to diagnose issues with Microsoft Windows or discuss matters related to the various operating systems.

We have also completely revamped and updated our Android OS application on Google Play.

If you prefer to use a mobile device to access the website, check out these links:
Work is currently being done to be able to provide the application on the Kindle Store as well. This is essentially the same version as the one on Google Play, but requires additional processing from Amazon due to the proprietary nature of Kindle devices.

It is a pleasure to be able to provide these apps free of charge to our viewers and members without any feature restrictions. These applications are now powered by the Tapatalk interface through licensing agreements.

Thank you for your continued support!

No thanks. I prefer to access the Internet including this forum at home on my laptops. My mobile phone is just a Nokia text and talk phone I bought in 2008. So it is not an internet phone and does not get Internet. Public WiFi is slow anyway,so is mobile broadband. I think it's better to go online though your own home broadband connection.

No thanks. I prefer to access the Internet including this forum at home on my laptops. My mobile phone is just a Nokia text and talk phone I bought in 2008. So it is not an internet phone and does not get Internet. Public WiFi is slow anyway,so is mobile broadband. I think it's better to go online though your own home broadband connection.

Boy are you misinformed, the new 4G/LTE (which has been around for some time now) is just as fast as regular WiFi. There's proof with the mobile speed tests, some users are getting upwards of 5 to 10 megs of DL speeds and that's what I get with my DSL service (wired). Whether you get it or not doesn't matter.....it's out there and is only going to get faster as the technology progress's.

Bassfisher wrote-Boy are you misinformed, the new 4G/LTE (which has been around for some time now) is just as fast as regular WiFi. There's proof with the mobile speed tests, some users are getting upwards of 5 to 10 megs of DL speeds and that's what I get with my DSL service (wired). Whether you get it or not doesn't matter.....it's out there and is only going to get faster as the technology progress's.

Well I have still got my Nokia text and talk mobile phone I bought in 2008 and I don't have a I phone. Just as well because I don't know how to use one anyway. And I have got 2 other Nokia phones the same in case the one I got breaks or stops working. So at least I won't have to worry about buying a new mobile phone for years yet.

When I go on holiday I take one of my Netbooks with me and connect to public WiFi. Only my last experience was not good. I have just come back from my holiday in Liverpool and in the Youth Hostel I was staying the Wifi was not working and they wouldn't fix it. So I had no Internet for a week and had to go out to the Internet cafes. Now I know why everyone else has their own computer and Internet connection at home. Public WiFi is not very good,it's slow and sometime not working.

I have a Surface...do I just use IE (tile or desktop) to get to the forum?

Any web browser will allow you to use the forum in the original experience it was meant to be used in. The Android, Kindle, and iOS apps were really added for those without reliable access to a useful browser. However, this does not preclude these apps from containing some interesting features of their own, such as push notifications. I would think the best scenario to use these apps would be when you have little to no choice in the matter, are on the go, or only have cellphone access, for instance.

But, there is good news to report this morning about the continued development of these applications. First of all, most of the show-stopper bugs, which many people complained about, whereas the Android/Kindle version crashed, have been repaired.

A major upgrade to our server-side application programming interface (API) for smart phones and tablets was made this morning. And, prior to that, another upgrade was published two nights ago. These changes do not require a software upgrade.

This morning, I have released the latest version of the mobile application to Apple as an upgrade. This version contains numerous bug fixes of high to critical importance. If you have been astute in examining the Android version of the app, you may notice that the format has changed to a drop down interface, rather than a side scroll to access navigation.

This is intentional, as the drop-down, buttoned version, is known to work quite well for Android, yet the newer side-scroll edition, is about 16MB instead of 3MB, and contains substantial overhead. This update fixes all of the issues since the apps were released in September. Most of our mobile users are now using, surprisingly, the iPhone, with numerous Android devices coming in at a close second. It does take more time to update the iOS/Apple application due the review process performed by Apple and the digital signing certificates that are involved, which is why this latest update took longer than the rest.

It is important to remember that all of these applications are free, and continue to be developed. Over the next few months, custom tabs are planned to be added in a future release that may allow you to access areas of the website not normally found in the existing apps.

In the future, the latest release version of the apps will be made available simultaneously, over the last weekend of the month, if possible. This gives those who already have the app installed on their device to receive an update notification during this time period, on a regularly anticipated upgrade schedule. There may be some cases where this will not be possible, especially if a change needs to be made to immediately remedy an error.

Here are some release notes:

Android and Kindle
  • 2013-10-11: Additional miscellaneous bug fixes. (Build version 2.4.12.3
  • 2013-09-26: Initial publication (Build version 2.2.1)

Apple iOS (iPhone, iPad, etc)
  • 2013-10-19: A new version of the app has been published to Apple and should be processed and available within 24 hours. This update features fixes for breaking changes that have been reportedly experienced by users of Android and Kindle version. (2.3.3)

Server-side Updates (All Versions; Does Not Require App Update)
  • 2013-10-19: Major server-side service upgrade. (1.9)
  • 2013-10-17: Additional server-side updates. (1.8.2)

* Indicates app upgrades are not required for these changes to take effect.

On October 19th, 2013 and October 17th, 2013, two major server-side service upgrade were performed. On October 11th, the software itself was updated to fix numerous issues related to the app, including a variety of miscellaneous bug fixes and interface changes to improve the software. The original version of the software was released on September 9, 2013.

The server-side upgrade performed this morning addresses issues regarding the stability and functionality of the apps. It does not change the updated Android version from October 11th, but it has been performed with the release of the latest iOS version, which should become available on the iTunes store within the next two business days.

Again, links and descriptions for the mobile software can be found here:

While the first two are a virtually identical, the Apple iOS app currently contains some advanced features. The main goal of multi-platform support is to give Windows license holders and customers a chance. who may not have access to the Internet, or a working Windows computer, for that matter, to participate in the forums. The traditional senses involves using search, contributing to, or asking for help on the website under the various forum categories

Thanks for your patience with this endeavour. Remember, the work is just getting started with these apps, they are being provided for free, some additional testing will remain required. Currently, the Android version of the app supports over 4,800+ devices.

Be sure to have a happy and safe Halloween and thank you for your patience with this software.

2013-10-27: Updated version contains numerous bug fixes and performance improvements. If you are using the ICS version of Android on your phone or tablet, you will receive a higher-end application. If your phone or tablet does not support Android ICS, you will receive the more basic version of the software.

21000010 (2.4.13.4) - Android Ice Cream Sandwich and above
21000009 (2.4.13.4) - Any version below Android ICS. This is also the version being distributed through Amazon Kindle.

This update will roll out to those with the software installed on their devices over the next several hours. The Kindle and iOS versions are subject to a manual review process.

iOS: We are still waiting for Apple to approve the latest version, which includes similar feature changes. The iOS version will always include features usually found in the "newer" build of the Android version. This is the second build we have submitted to Apple that is pending review, largely due to the name of the application. Thus, iOS users have been deprived of the last several updates, and this may happen again, until we are able to reach a human over at the company. Thank you.

Been using the iOS app for a while now, loving it! A truly great experience, although the placement of the ads in the app is somewhat offsetting.

Mike if you need help with a Windows Phone app, I may be able to help you out. I'd be willing to pay for the Dev Center licence.

Hi Mitch,

I have a dev center license which is expiring soon, but I am awaiting for forward looking developments from Tapatalk to be able to make this type of a publication properly. The site should run great in its native format on most Windows phones since it makes use of responsive design. However, a dedicated app would be great. This is something that will be focused on once issues with Apple are squared away. Thanks!

April 22, 2014 (Apple iOS update):

A new mobile update is available for Apple iOS users (iPhone, and iPad). This is a version upgrade from 3.6 to 3.7.15.

This release includes a number of changes:

- Fixed bug: when viewing thread via web view, app cannot remember user account after login.
- Fixed bug: report post feature doesn't work under some cases.
- Updated to use plugin side Tapatalk In App Registration Options to control app register feature.
- Updated translations.

It will take time to be made available for free, on the iTunes Store. Expect this process to take anywhere from 5-7 business days.

Downloads:

April 26, 2014 (Android and Kindle update):

- Added direct image server support.
- Fixed bug: jump to first unread doesn't work when the first unread is the last post on a page.
- Fixed bug: search bar text used wrong color.
- Fixed bug: when clicking internal thread links, it shows "not found" error under some cases.
- Fixed bug: pasting a url into IMG tags will include an extra space.
- Fixed bug: post number won't update correctly after replies.

Downloads:

Is there also one for the W8Phone ?
We actually have one for proof of concept but its just an embedded browser window. Unfortunately we are not quite there yet. This was @Josephur coding it from scratch. Because of restrictions with the Windows Phone SDK, I think there is a problem with notifications. So it is not on the store at all (yet). There is also the issue of the Microsoft release cycle and the probability of Windows Phone merging platforms with actual Windows itself... when that happens we may have to start all over from scratch so we are not sure what to do. Yet.

Thanks for the info Mike. I guess I will use my Nexus tablet when on the road.

Unfortunately, Microsoft's legal team has petitioned for Google to remove our Android app from the Google Play store. This was a free app designed to provide support to our visitors and members. I am working quickly to try to resolve this issue with Microsoft Corporation. In the past, we have dealt with a number of issues regarding our mobile presence, including the demand of a name change to "Forums for Windows", a change in logo, a change back to WindowsForum.com - Forums for Windows. I am looking into this as a top priority. Apologies to all Google Play people who wanted to download the app at this time. Normally, our relations with Microsoft are good, but there has been a campaign, not revealed to the public of this forum, to, essentially, neuter these apps to public exposure by renaming them and rebranding them. I am looking to see what can be done on our end to work with Microsoft's legal team to meet their extraordinary requirements. I have notified our administrative team and our entire staff of this issue, and we will use all of our effort to resolve this problem.

Thanks Mike. I applaud you for all your efforts although that does not sound like a fun job. I have many years of experience with the pitfalls of legeal requirements when I worked a system manager for a major operationg system and in this job. I know that this is tedious.

Back