Windows 8 Download dialog box "issue"

Micky

Hi I'm Mick and new to this forum. I'm running the Win8 Enterprise evaluation (daul boot with Win7) to get a feel of the new OS. There is this one thing that I came across that doesn't work properly and that's the Clear List option in the Download Dialog Box. When the Dialog Box is active i.e. downloading something it lists my previous downloads but the Clear List button on the bottom left isn't active or doesn't function. I have to right click the previous downloads and select Remove from List manually to delete them.

Did anyone else encounter this or know a way to fix it?

Thnx,
Mick

I haven't encountered that before. It is a side function of IE. Iif you are confident you can set up IE to your customisation again, try resetting it back to its defaults, and see if you can then run the Clear list.

Hi Dave, I only use Firefox but I will check and see if the issue is resolved after disabling add-ons. Although I run the same settings in Win7 and do not encounter this. I'll let you know if disabling my add-ons solves anything.

I've disabled all add-ons and now it works fine. Thank you for putting me in the right direction Dave, I'm now going to see which add-on is causing the problem. I will post my finding if I can pinpoint the problem.

The downloads box in Firefox for Windows 8 behaves the same as Window 7. I don't really see what would cause the problem you indicate unless it was some type of download manager.

Which version of Firefox are you running, and what add-ons do you show?

The downloads box in Firefox for Windows 8 behaves the same as Window 7.
That's why I don't understand this either, I copied the Firefox settings profile from Win 7 to Win 8 and it does everything the same except for this one thing. Right now I'm running Firefox 19.02 but the issue occurred in older versions too. My add-ons are NoScript, BetterPrivacy, Exif Viewer, New Tab Homepage, Google Shortcuts, Norton Vulnerability Protection and DownloadHelper.

I figured the most likely candidates to cause this problem were NoScript and Downloadhelper but the issue persists after uninstalling them, figuring out what is causing this is less straight forward than I thought it would be. I'm not going to invest too much time in trying to fix this though because it's not really worth it, closing and restarting Firefox clears the list too so it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly coping the profiles led to some situation in Windows 8 that was not compatible. The Firefox troubleshooter in the help section has some info and a link to FAQs if you needed. It also has a Reset option, which would probably wipe out you prior info...

I did notice in the profiles folder (YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\some strange number\ there is a downloads.sqlite file.... I cannot suggest deleting it, but in might be involved... I have no evidence it is actually involved.

Saltgrass might be on track. It is the download file for FireFox. I am thinking that when you copied the profile, your chosen/default folder for SQLite no longer exists, or is, in Windows 8, a protected folder. If this is the case, it is easy to fix. Go into the Tools-Options. Under the General tab, change the default folder to a known folder on your computer.

Thanks guys for trying to help figure this out. I moved the downloads.sqlite file to another folder and launched Firefox, all it does is write a new file into the folder so I doubt it has anything to with this particular issue.

@Dave, Are you referring to the Firefox "Tools" Options because if you do I don't know how to get there. I can click the firefox button on the top left and choose options, but under the General tab there's no option to change folders.

My apologies, Micky. I had not noticed your reply.
OK. I'm not sure why you are not finding the correct option, but:

You seem to be on the correct path. Tools - Options. You should then see this:

Thanks Dave for your reply and the screenshot. I misunderstood what you were referring to the first time but I have it set to "Always ask me where to Save files", I just now tried pointing it towards a specified folder to see if it made a difference but it didn't.

I did Dave, unfortunately it doesn't make any difference whatever option I choose. I appreciate your help trying to figure this out but this issue is only just a small inconvenience and I think we've spent enough time on trying to find a solution.

Back