Windows 10 Downloading 10041 now...

The install experience is a little different. Mine has halted several times and even downloads additional data during the Preparing to install phase. I like the new Installing screen...

The install experience is a little different.
Just a little.

Install.jpg

Did take a while and it would seem that my start menu got hosed in the process.

My Start menu appears to be OK, it is very simple though. There does seem to be a glitch with the Search Box and the Taskbar when the Start Menu is open... Like the search box is not the correct size for the taskbar.

Like the search box is not the correct size for the taskbar.
Thanks for that heads up .... I can see what you mean.
My start menu was nothing irreparable, just lost some items that I had "pinned to start", like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc., got them back from the all apps menu, but.....
For some reason my Skype for Desktop (not the app) disappeared completely. I had to run the installer again to get that one back. Not sure what happened there.
Looks like there may be a couple new things to play with and at least we got something new to complain about.

You bring up a good point, Skype. I was having a problem with the App in 9926 because I could not see myself or the video box during a conversation. If I make the window larger, the box would show up, but be just black. The folks I am talking to can see me fine.

I suppose I will have to wait till someone calls me to see if it is working better in the new version. I do have the Skype utility also installed, but have not opened it to test.

I do like the translucent Start Menu when expanded. I did not realize the Search box is part of the menu and not part of the Taskbar.

The Nvidia Control panel situation with open processes not allowing changes, has not been fixed.

The Nvidia Control panel situation with open processes not allowing changes, has not been fixed.
I noticed that Kemical had posted a new update for the NVidia driver package today...... I imagine you are using that one already.
On the bright side, we've got the "Defender" castle icon back in the notification area. :)

I am not sure which driver kemical posted, but the one installed with the new build was 349.65. The Nvidia site only goes to 347.88 for the approved drivers.

I notice some of the desktop icons, such as the Recycle Bin, are now flat as opposed to what I would call normal. Is that the way they will eventually show? They are a striking, and not appealing, difference from the other icons.

Right now the Defender icon isn't showing up. But I can click on the blank space and open the Defender control panel. ;)

They are a striking, and not appealing, difference from the other icons.
Some of us were talking about that earlier in a Skype Chat.
I think the trend is towards flat, ugly and somewhat cartoonish, as they are likely smaller in actual file size than a "normal" icon and the whole push is to smaller, lighter, faster, tiny footprint for the OS so the mobile devices can play along.

Last edited:
@Sonny.. Cortana seems to be working for me as it did before, not issue as of right now.
@davehc.. Yep
Dupes).png

So..... we wanted a new build??? Be careful what you wish for.

I am not sure which driver kemical posted, but the one installed with the new build was 349.65. The Nvidia site only goes to 347.88 for the approved drivers.

I notice some of the desktop icons, such as the Recycle Bin, are now flat as opposed to what I would call normal. Is that the way they will eventually show? They are a striking, and not appealing, difference from the other icons.

Right now the Defender icon isn't showing up. But I can click on the blank space and open the Defender control panel. ;)

To clarify:
347.88 is for operating systems up to 8.1 and can be downloaded from the main Nvidia site.

349.65 is a release by Microsoft and is intended for Windows 10 specifically (WDM 2.0 - DX12). It's only available via Windows update or try here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397113

349.90 released today and again available through windows update or here:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397113

Just got hit with that latest... 349.90
And apparently my settings with respect to Windows Update and my Drivers are still being ignored.
WupdtAndDrivers.PNG

Apparently I need to uncheck that box at the bottom also.

Last edited:
well, I do not have the extra menu items on either system.

Cortana appears to be broken and will not even go to the settings section on either system.

I show no Icons for Search or Defender, although there is a blank space.

I just got a BlueScreen when I clicked on the System icon on the Settings page on my X99 system. It rebooted and did not give me the BlueScreen the second time. Something for Microsoft to chew on. ;)

I did not get BlueScreens playing games last night, but there was some large error report sent which seems to involve Steam. The games, even though they ran, were not smooth during game play. I have not yet received the 349.90 driver.

Is there another download for 10041, I am seeing it available and has an install button...? Clicking the Install Button does not seem to do anything, maybe just a glitch.

Last edited:
well, I do not have the extra menu items on either system.

Cortana appears to be broken and will not even go to the settings section on either system.

Had same problem with Cortana. In windows features had to turn on Framework 3.5. That solved the problem with Cortana.

Thanks Sonny, but since I don't normally use Cortana, I think I will wait and see if Microsoft fixes it. ;)

Just got the Nvidia upgrade on my X99 system. Now I have to play games for a couple more hours. :))

I've had nothing but issues with this build, so much so, that coupled with the driver issues of 9926....I just said the hell with 10 and went back to 8.1. I'll wait till MS releases the GR, unless a build comes out before then and is very stable.

Back