Windows 10 Downloading 10158

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Looks like this one is available...

Edit: Well, I am back, install seemed to go fine...

Last edited:
I don't expect many changes, especially since I have been running 10147, but some of the bugs should be fixed. The real test will come when the upgrade hits my desktop systems with multiple monitors and video cards.

I do notice there is still not a right click refresh option in Edge. Initial tests seem to show I can still scroll in Edge after changing the size of the text.

Well, this is the last one. It may be noted that 10147 is the only build which did not contain a License key. I will leave that install until the final build on July 29th is released to see if I can work it differently than builds which had keys.... Just playing so probably nothing earth shaking will result.

I will be testing for a couple of days and then putting 2 of my systems back on Windows 7. I will not be staying in the Insider program, so I have to decide whether to upgrade the one system only.

Anyone else notice the "Background Apps" options, to allow or not allow, certain apps to run in the background, such as the Store? The option is in the Privacy section, bottom choice.

Thanks for the heads up. This is all I currently see....
BackgroundApps.PNG

No Store app.

It probably depends on what you have had running in the session.

There is also a "Microsoft Wi-Fi" App which I have not noticed before. This may be the one that was showing "Coming Soon" in prior builds.

BKGd Apps.JPG

It may be noted that 10147 is the only build which did not contain a License key.
I am thinking they are locking down or using a different activation server. Even a Windows 8.1 Pro (authentic/genuine) license key will not work on a clean install of this build. I suspect this may be intentional, as this is close to being a release candidate (I think).

We showed 10147 could be activated for a clean install if you had previously updated an activated version. This would tell me the activation for Windows 10 is stored online after updating to that specific build. Exactly how this might be involved with the final release, hard to say.

I am getting very annoyed with Edge because it hides the address URL box until you click in that area. I assume this is to get folks to just use Bing. I have not yet checked to see if you can change the search engine used in the lower search box.

Here is my demo.. strange the latency times are reversed...

Akami.JPG

Last edited:
We showed 10147 could be activated for a clean install if you had previously updated an activated version.
Well, this would explain a lot since I cant seem to get build 10130 to upgrade on the fast ring to this build.
Exactly how this might be involved with the final release, hard to say.
By associating it with your user account, they could control the update process eligibility for individual Microsoft account holders, as well as, potentially, system type. This would correspond with the "Windows as a Service" concept. For instance, it looks like updates will be rolled out very differently. This could be a way of taking advantage of the strong level of control that has manifested itself in the Windows Update process.

Well I got it updated from 100074 and would rather have an ISO for a clean install. I haven't had time to explore it yet. I'll do that later tonight.
Joe

Just installed build 10158 fresh from an iso and so far I'm impressed.

It was one created from the downloaded esd files. Another copy was made for the forum which I'll post shortly as soon as I can get access to the link.

Hi

Thanks Kemical.

I'll watch for the download link.

I wonder how long until version 10159 hits the slow ring?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom