Downloading VLC media player for WIN10. Which source can I trust?

BudVitoff

Honorable Member
With all the malware that likes to hitch-hike onto a download of software, how do I know which source is trustworthy?

Official site is way more trustworthy than softpedia. Which is all of 2 posts back.

Never used softpedia, I always go to the source site for any downloaded apps.

I use a free program called Unchecky automatically unchecks unrelated offers, both saving you mouse clicks and making it less likely to miss a checkbox of an unwanted offer. It really works.

I concur with nmsuk on this one! Manufacturer's websites are always the best and safest place to get 3rd party utility software whether for free or paid.:up:

I do need to make a comment about softpedia though. I use it often, and like CNET, and the other big utilities portal sites, they now have innocuous spyware along with the unrelated offers of software that install sketchy programs you don't want running on your computer. However, those places often have archived older versions of many utilities such as iTunes that will often crash newer windows versions such as W10. I have tools that block and remove the oft-used forms of these spyware such as IOBIT, Mindspark, and Yontoo. For me, the ability to access many hundreds of utilities on these portals outweighs the risk of their low-risk spyware. :skull: I agree that's not for everyone.:noway: I just thought I'd mention specifically SOFTPEDIA, is not too bad a site to get your utilities from if you know what you're doing. Most of my Customers go to much worse websites, and get way nastier viruses on their own such as Ransomware etc.:pirate: Going to the software maker's website is always the best. However, in some cases when the software company goes out of business and takes down their website, sites like softpedia offer an archive alternative. I just thought I'd mention that for everyone. :lightbulb:

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Back