Windows 7 Downloads and streaming video freezing

Jerald7

Hello everyone,
I'm have a problem that I haven't been able to resolve. This is a new PC build, one month old, that has been having download issues, frequently freezing in the middle of downloads, and also freezes when watching streaming video. On file downloads, when it freezes, I can pause the download, then resume, and it will usually resume the download. I may have to do that 5-10 times to get the entire file. I was just watching a streaming video promo on buy.com's website (about 4 minutes long), and at 1 minute and 6 seconds the video freezes every time. I've tried to watch that video with IE, Firefox and Chrome, with the same results - freezing at 1 minute and 6 seconds with all three browsers. My regular web browsing seems to be very fast, no issues there (I have 6 mbps DSL). My network card has the latest driver (but I haven't tried to reinstall it). I have attached my PC info as a text file. Thank you for any suggestions.

Attachments

• HOMESTUDY-PC (1).txt
    39.4 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Sounds like a bandwidth problem. You can open Task Manager and to the Networking tab and watch the download speed.

Even better might be to use the Resource Manager and watch other systems at the same time. Since the graphs change scale depending on the values, make sure and watch that so you know what the info is telling you.

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Thank you for the reply. There are two events that seem to be causing problems. One is red (Error), this one is WMI with Event ID 10. The other is a yellow warning, this one is Brother BrLog with Event ID 1002. They show up in several places in the Application tab. Under "Administrative Events" there are quite a few Errors and Warnings, most of them are the same Event ID's but there are others, such as Kernel-EventTracing Event ID 2, Distributed COM Event ID 10016, Disk Event ID 11, DNS Client Events Event ID 1014.

I did have some errors listed in the event viewer, have resolved them all, but still cannot download or view flashplayer type streaming video. I am now trying to download the latest Adobe Flash Player, but cannot. The download will start, and hang up at around 43% complete. I've tried to download this about 5 times, and the download stops at about the same spot every time. Any suggestions?

You say you have DSL...Does it come over the phone lines?

If so, do you have a filter on any alarm system?

Has the provider checked your line for noise?

If you are using a router, have you tried going around it or putting it in a DMZ?

It is ATT phone line DSL. I do have filters on everything. It looks like line noise or router problem would affect all computers, not just one. All other computers on this router have none of these issues. My internet speeds are good, can browse very fast on all computers including this one with the download problems.

As Saltgrass suggests and your event viewer event ID confirms it really sounds like a bandwidth issue. Can you give us info on your network setup? How many computers, are you using IPv4 or IPv6? what router, etc.

On my network are three desktop PC’s all Ethernet wired, two laptops (wireless), one network printer (Ethernet wired). However, this problem is occurring with all other PC’s off and the printer asleep, so this problem PC is the only thing using the network while this problem is occurring. The router/modem is Westell VersaLink Model 327W. IPv4 and IPv6 automatic configuration (DHCP enabled), IPv4 Connectivity: Internet - IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access. Network card is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (integrated in mobo).
Thank you for looking at this.

Do you know where the drivers came from for your motherboard and Network Adapter?

Because other computers work with your connection does not always mean all will work. There may be some specific glitch with that Adapter/router combination. Does it allow you to put the computer in a DMZ?

Have you decided that all downloads suffer from the same problems and not just a certain type of file or from a specific location?

Do you have some software on this computer you do not have on the others. An Anti-virus program may be doing something to cause a problem.

Have you watched the network speed to see if anything strange shows up when the problem occurs? Does it go to 0 or just drop down and come back?

Do you see anything in the event viewer that might be related?

Try experimenting with your NIC speed and duplex to see if you can maintain a more reliable connection.
Type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run box and hit enter
select the right click your Realtek adapter and choose properties uncheck the check box next to IPv6 then
near the top click the "Configure" button
select the advanced tab and in the left column choose Speed & Duplex
in the right column select the drop down arrow and change to 10Mbps Half Duplex and click OK see attachment

I downloaded the drivers from ASUS web site. I just put this computer in a DMZ, but still have the problems. I have tried to download files from two different locations this morning, and each of them began the download, but stopped prior to completion - this was only a 2.98MB file. When it reached 86% complete, it stopped (this was after putting the PC in a DMZ - but was the same as before DMZ). The programs on the other computers are basically the same as this PC, same McAfee security suite. Watching the Windows Task Manager - Networking, shows very little network utilization while the problem is occurring. The other day I found some errors in the Event Viewer, fixed those, but now I see a new one - error Dhcp-Client I.D. 1002, error/Disk I.D. 11, error/DistributedCOM I.D. 10010. I've seen the 10010 before, but not the 1002 and 11.

Thanks Trouble for your suggestions. I tried what you suggested, unchecked IPv6, then changed the Speed and Duplex - but still the same problem. I also uninstalled everything McAfee, rebooted, but still have the same problem.

The driver that you need for that NIC should be downloaded from Realtek here grab the one from the list named Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.046 2011/6/22. If problem persists, switch cables with a known good one and test. How long is the cable run? Does it pass by or near any electrical devices which may be generating EMF, like florescent light fixtures, fans or any other spinning motors, any AC to DC converters, those types of things.

WE HAVE A WINNER! Trouble and Saltgrass, you were exactly right. I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek, (although I had a hard time downloading it with this problem), uninstalled the current network adapter driver, installed the Realtek driver and all the problems seem to be gone. I will say, this is confusing, because when I finished the PC build, I went to ASUS web site and downloaded the latest drivers for THEIR mobo, which included drivers for the the Realtek network adapter integrated into the mobo. Since ASUS built it, I would have thought they would have had the latest - but not so. To everyone, thank you for helping me solve this. Have a blessed day!

WE HAVE A WINNER! Trouble and Saltgrass, you were exactly right. I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek, (although I had a hard time downloading it with this problem), uninstalled the current network adapter driver, installed the Realtek driver and all the problems seem to be gone. I will say, this is confusing, because when I finished the PC build, I went to ASUS web site and downloaded the latest drivers for THEIR mobo, which included drivers for the the Realtek network adapter integrated into the mobo. Since ASUS built it, I would have thought they would have had the latest - but not so. To everyone, thank you for helping me solve this. Have a blessed day!
On behalf of everyone who help, you're very welcome. Great to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread.
We hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom