Windows 7 Drivers for windows 7

jonthecabbie

I got this computer from a pawn shop. It had windows 7 64bit on it from factory, however someone took that off and put XP32bit on it. I would like to put windows 7 back on it. If I buy windows 7 will that come with all the drivers I need? it has NVIDIA geforce 6150 se nForce 430 graphics card in it.
It works ok with xp, however I can not get a driver for the sm bus controller.

The OS will just install the windows generic drivers for you. It will allow for basic functionality for the hardware that requires a driver. After the install of the OS, you would need to go to the manufacturers website for the actual drivers that may have software needed to go along with the device.

What's the make and model of the computer?

Windows 7 will install basic drivers, normally for me its just the wireless card. Google the laptop model number and well whatever it is, Vaio, Acer, Asus etc.

And download some drivers or run.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Search for drivers automatically.
I don't know if it only works with intel cards, but its worth a try if you have java.

You should check to see if the recovery partition is still present on the machine. If it is it will save you the cost of buying Windows 7 and will automatically provide all the drivers. Examine your disk and see if the recovery partition is still there and try booting to it.

I got this computer from a pawn shop. It had windows 7 64bit on it from factory, however someone took that off and put XP32bit on it. I would like to put windows 7 back on it. If I buy windows 7 will that come with all the drivers I need? it has NVIDIA geforce 6150 se nForce 430 graphics card in it.
It works ok with xp, however I can not get a driver for the sm bus controller.

First, you can try to install these drivers manually from "Computer=>Manager=>Device Manager=>Right Clicking the Device".

Second, use driver updating tools. I recommend you some tools. Uniblue DriverScanner(Paid), DrivePack Solution(Free) & Driver Booster(Free). These tools will update your old drivers and install your missed drivers automatically.

Just google them, and make your choice.

You should check to see if the recovery partition is still present on the machine. If it is it will save you the cost of buying Windows 7 and will automatically provide all the drivers. Examine your disk and see if the recovery partition is still there and try booting to it.
This is actually quite crucial. If it's still there, you have a legitimate version of Windows 7. Why pay for something you already have? Of course, you need to check the manufacturer's pages to find out about the commands...

If the previous owner has installed XP by formatting the disk, Win 7 may be gone, but not necessarily, since these recovery partitions don't usually disappear by formatting C - they are protected.

In case it's gone, and even if it still is there, you need to update drivers. Windows comes with the basic stuff that makes your computer running, but later things aren't guaranteed to work ideally.

Back