Dual boot win 8 in win 7

davidhk129

I have a laptop running Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. 4 GB Ram
I had shrunk the 581.42 GB (C: ), and created a 284241 MB partition intended to install Win 8 into.

I have a retail Win 8 Pro upgrade version which comes with a 32-bit and a 64-bit disc.
Can I use anyone of the 2 or do I have to use 64-bit disc ?

Thank you.

badrobot

You can use any, but with I would recommend the 32-bit even though you have 4GB Ram. But it's just me. Your 4GB Ram can handle 64bit but 32bit will be more efficient in terms of performance.

whs

Extraordinary Member
You can use both, but I would use the 64bit version. Makes use of all your RAM and is probably faster.

LOL, now you have 2 opposing views. I have a 32bit Windows 8.1 on a 2GB (tablet) system and that runs fine. But with 4GB, I would use 64bit.

davidhk129

Just to make sure.

My Win 8 Pro is an Upgrade version. Not full version.
I can still use it for dual boot installation ?
I mean, I will be installing it into an unallocated partition which has no previous OS to upgrade from.
That's ok ?

badrobot

I was just about to say that Bass. A base OS is needed to be able to use that upgrade CD. Even clean installing the original Win 7 on another partition after the upgrade to W8 may not even work as the original W7 key is still in use.

I wonder if you could use a trial version and then use the upgarde disc....I've never tried it.

whs

Extraordinary Member
Yes you can make a clean install with an upgrade version. Here is how.

Last edited:
Cool beans WHS....thanks.

So, I have a 4GB Ram laptop dual booting Win 8 and Win 7 ( 7 is my default )
And, I have a 2GB Ram laptop running Win 8.1.1
I think I am covered. :)
Until Win 9............

whs

Extraordinary Member
So, I have a 4GB Ram laptop dual booting Win 8 and Win 7 ( 7 is my default )
And, I have a 2GB Ram laptop running Win 8.1.1
I think I am covered. :)
Until Win 9............
LOL, you are modest. There is a lot more gear out there that you could add. How about a couple of tablets and phones and some really barnstormer desktop. And don't forget Android and Linux. Nice systems. Only the fruit company you can skip. :up:

David, how do you like the new dual boot interface of windows 8?

I have a samsung RV511 that came with windows 7 home, dual booted with windows 8 Pro and was pleasantly surprised to the new GUI of windows 8 dual boot screen. Sure beats the crappy windows 7 junk.

Takes too long to logon to Win 8.
Takes even longer if I want to return to Win 7.

Agreed...but I was actually asking about the look not how it performed....
Yes it's really take a long time especially if you want to go back to 7, it ends up essentially rebooting again. All that will change when I get a hold of 2 SSD's ...one for my laptop and one for the desktop.

I don't use Shut Down option. So, I don't get to see the pretty side of the interface.

Sleep mode is the only option I use when I am done with the laptop.
So, no matter which os I choose to start, I only see the ugly black and white screen showing the options of Win 8 or Win 7.

whs

Extraordinary Member
View attachment 26966
All that will change when I get a hold of 2 SSD's ...one for my laptop and one for the desktop.
What are you waiting for. Saw that on Newegg a few days ago.

2014-04-18_2239.png

Waiting on some cash flow.....it's tight right now. Soon, real soon....I'm hoping....next 30 days. I'll be going with Samsung EVO series.

Dual booting is a colossal disappointment.
I am removing it.
Virtual Box or VMware player will be a better alternative if I still fancy 2 OS in one hardware.

badrobot

That's because your system is at marginal specifications to begin with. You would be lucky to get it to perform good on a single boot OS. But going dual boot is just definitely pushing it. Virtualization may not be also a walk in the park but could be better than dual boot.

badrobot

Waiting on some cash flow.....it's tight right now. Soon, real soon....I'm hoping....next 30 days. I'll be going with Samsung EVO series.
I only buy my stuffs whenever I get my end of the year and mid-year bonuses. Hahaha...

Evo Series is definitely getting more affordable. This $149 price used to be for a 128GB SSD. Now it's 250GB!

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1088&item_id=062499

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.