Windows 7 Dual booting windows 8.1 and 7

RECdevicehelper

Hi I am having a issue dual booting windows 8.1 and 7 I upgraded from the windows store and I disabled secure boot and I put csm mode to boot into my usb drive and after that I clicked on the partition and it said that I cannot install windows the partition is of the style is gpt please help.

also I have a Toshiba laptop l875-12v part no pskfne and serial number ZC317533R

I upgraded from the windows store
During this process did you choose the install later option by creating media and download the ISO file (to create your installation media)?
cannot install windows the partition is of the style is gpt
This would suggest that your system has an UEFI Bios, as I don't believe you can have one (GPT Guid Partition Table) without the other (UEFI Bios).
So assuming that the above is true you'll need to use something like Rufus ( http://rufus.akeo.ie/ ) to create a bootable USB drive to support a UEFI / GPT installation.

Attachments

• Rufus.PNG
    Rufus.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 427
When I upgraded from the windows store it did not have an option to create an ISO but I know you have to download 8.1 using a product key on the Microsoft website.

when you created the USB drive....
Did you use the settings in my image attachment above?
Did you use the browse button to locate your Windows ISO to apply the ISO to the thumb drive?

There was no problem when I was in csm mode but i just realized that it said the disk is gpt and cannot install because the partition is gpt

From Toshiba https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm
I have no idea if that reference information is pertinent or not, I just thought I would pass it along.
Seems counter intuitive if you ask me. I can understand disabling secure boot and maybe fast boot too, but it seems that if you disable UEFI and use legacy mode then you're going to end up where you are now, with a message box telling you that you have a GPT (guid partition table) and you can't install there even though you've created a UEFI / GPT thumb drive of the installation media, you've turned off UEFI so no dice on the GPT.

I think you need to maybe submit a trouble ticket with Toshiba or perhaps maybe if they have a support forum maybe someone can make some suggestions.

Back