Windows 7 E-mail Problem w/ Eudora on Win 7

OkinawaBob

Sorry to bother folks w/ his but I'm having a problem w/ my Eudora 7 Pro e-mail program.When I attempt to access the pgm. I get an error msg. in re the "Certificate" having a problem. Have spent a fair amt. of time w/ my 'net host (QualCom) and they are saying nothing wrong on their end. This is an old E-mail pgm. (2007) but I truly love it. Also spent several sessions w/ the MS techs via phone, but as this has nothing to do w/ MS they couldn't give me an answer, although they kindly tried to look at it. Methinks Eudora has gone open source and no longer supports the pgm. A family friend who is quite proficient w/ S/W tells me:

"I’m guessing that the Eudora product hasn’t been updated in some time and that the Certificate Authorities have updated their servers. Any time you get a certificate from one of your mail servers, the mail program checks the issuing certificate authority against a known list of servers and verifies the identify of the certificate. The problem is, since Eudora hasn’t been updated for a while, the Certificate Authorities have likely changed servers (they do this regularly, but new server lists are provided as part of app updates) and the old servers that Eudora know about likely no longer exist."

Is there anything I can do to get Eudora to once again work . . . have been trying to use Outlook but it's getting me a bit frustrated in trying to set it up much the same as I had w/ Eudora.
Thanx for any input about this!
Cheers,
RFB

What kind of Make/Model is your Computer with the Eudora problem?

Look at your Date/Time in your System Tray. Is this correct? If not, you will continue to get Certificate errors regardless of which browser you are using. Do you also get Certificate errors in other browsers, such as IE, Chrome, Firefox? If you do, and your Date/Time of your System Clock is wrong, then you might have a bad CMOS backup battery on your Motherboard. Changing it only costs $5.

Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

What kind of Make/Model is your Computer with the Eudora problem?

Look at your Date/Time in your System Tray. Is this correct? If not, you will continue to get Certificate errors regardless of which browser you are using. Do you also get Certificate errors in other browsers, such as IE, Chrome, Firefox? If you do, and your Date/Time of your System Clock is wrong, then you might have a bad CMOS backup battery on your Motherboard. Changing it only costs $5.

Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Hi BigBearJedi, thanx for your input w/ this. I'm using a Dell Studio XPS 9000 w/ Win 7, lots of memory, drives (int & ext), yada, yada, yada. Clock is right on the proverbial button and the Eudora pgm. is the only one giving me the error. Have decided to bite the bullet and starting to use Outlook 10 . . . slowly getting my large address book configured the way I like. Appreciate your taking time to respond to this. Cheers.

Hi Bob,
No problem, you're welcome. You're friend may be right since your other browsers aren't suffering from the Certificate errors. I haven't used Eudora for years and years. It was a good E-mail program for it's day--sort of Netscape-ish; also a very good program.

If you're using Outlook10 and not getting errors (Outlook 2010 right?), just remember to back up your PST file, especially with a large address book. Before I ran out of money for the Outlook renewal (after Outlook 2007), I had around 4,500 contacts in my Address book. 20 years worth of contacts and E-mail. File got quite large. As long as you do regular backups; probably 3-4 times a year you should be Ok. I don't know if the Eudora version you were using downloaded E-mail & Contacts to your local hard drive, but the older versions did so too, so I'm guessing you know this fact already. Just in case you don't it's a good idea to let people know.:clover:

The industry has changed over the last decade and I've move about 98% of my Customers off from Client-based E-mail programs such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, etc. due to this very backup issue. I now live in a mountain resort town, and most of the folks up here are "low-tech", and they do a very poor job of backing up their computers, and even when a few of them do so, they don't have the technical expertise to know how to backup up PST E-mail files. Many still backup their Quicken onto floppies!! I offer to come to their homes and backup their E-mail for free, and 99% will not let me do that.

In 2009 or so I moved to Windows Live Mail (WLM2011), and have been using that since as a free replacement for Outlook. It works pretty good, though the new Win10 Mail replacement program does not yet work, so I'll have to stay on it for a while longer until MS fixes their bug.

Good luck with your Outlook--it's a really good program for managing large address books; though the E-mail is full-featured, it's still clumsy to work with especially if your E-mail servers are using IMAP/IMAP4.

<<<BBJ>>> :brew:

Hi again BB, I appreciate your comments. I wasn't aware of the PST info . . . I did a 'net search and found some additional info on backing up the file and did so immediately w/ the Outlook 10 pgm. . . . plan to do so on a reasonable basis. Incidentally, if you're interested, I maintain a research site for my Okinawa opisthobranch mollusks at: The Okinawa Slug Site
Also a link at the page bottom to a modified Russian rebreather. Probably just as well that I left Okinawa before I killed myself w/ the mixed-gas deep diving. <grin>
Cheers,
bob

Back