Windows 7 Easy File Transfer

sunrisecc

I intend to use the Win 7 East File Transfer when I upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 pro. I intend to use the clean install method.

If I add a second physical internal hard drive, can I use that instead of a physical external drive? All documentation always refer to an external drive. I am aware that I must do it in two passes - first export and then after the apps are re-installed, import my settings etc. Hence has anyone ever used a second internal drive with EFT?

Folks say you can install Win 7 to a new hard drive if you have the prior OS installed on another hard drive. IF you do that, you won't need to do the Easy File Transfer, which I have never done.

Otherwise, the Win 7 install only messes with the partition you tell it to install on, so your data would be safe on another partition. Remember, you can add or resize partitions from within Vista using the Disk Management.

Last edited:
You really haven't answered the question I asked. I am not installing Win 7 to a new drive. I will be doing a clean install which Win 7 allows me.

I also will be using EFT as I have already tested the saving part and it is better than what I used for Vista. I can delay selecting what I want returned by file/program until Win 7 is installed.

I am also looking at Link Removed - Invalid URL as a possible replacement for EFT.

Thank you.

In fact, I have just purchased and installed an external drive. However it is still good to know that a second drive will also work with EFT.

Back