Windows 7 Easy Transfer doesn't work for email

edsmega

Honorable Member
I want to migrate my email from OE6 on my XP system to live mail on Windows 7. Easy Transfer has no separate option to just move email, so I went through the migration selecting the option that moved a lot of stuff I didn't want moved including settings and my desk top stuff. After making a mess of my desktop It did NOT move my email like it was supposed to. I tried to get help from the live mail folks but they just blew me off. Where do I find help with getting my email moved?

Ed

I thought there was a warning about the e-mail..... Maybe it wasn't in your version.

I don't remember exactly, but it seems it menitoned something about Microsoft mail not being in Win 7. I don't use live mail, so I do not know how that works. But can you go ahead and transfer the file back anyway and maybe Live mail can pick them up. I use Outlook so my files worked as expected.

But can you go ahead and transfer the file back anyway and maybe Live mail can pick them up. What do you mean transfer the file back? I can't see that the mail was ever exported from the XP system. If it was, I can't find it.

Ed

Have you restored the files? What mail client did you use in XP, oh, Outlook Express 6, I see?

Do you show things like .wab or .pst files anywhere. I am not the expert on where Windows puts it mail folders and such, but I am sure the internet contains that info. It may be in a folder something like this one.

C:\Users\You\AppData\Local\Micorsoft\Outlook

I have not restored any files, so I really can say where it puts them. If you know where they were on your old system, you can probably find them in the restore data base by using the Custom and Advanced settings.

If you have a Windows.old folder or a $Windows.~bt you may still have all the old files from your XP install you could find. Windows 7 doesn't have Outlook Express, as you have probably noticed.

This might give you more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188854

Last edited:
Have you restored the files? What mail client did you use in XP, oh, Outlook Express 6, I see?

Do you show things like .wab or .pst files anywhere. I am not the expert on where Windows puts it mail folders and such, but I am sure the internet contains that info. It may be in a folder something like this one.

C:\Users\You\AppData\Local\Micorsoft\Outlook

I have not restored any files, so I really can say where it puts them. If you know where they were on your old system, you can probably find them in the restore data base by using the Custom and Advanced settings.

If you have a Windows.old folder or a $Windows.~bt you may still have all the old files from your XP install you could find. Windows 7 doesn't have Outlook Express, as you have probably noticed.

This might give you more info:
OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders

I still have all the XP stuff. It is the system I am still using. I have a separate hard drive that I am building Win 7 on. Knowing the name/location of the old mail files is not helpful because the mail is all mushed together in a giant furball that only OE understands. I was expecting the EASY TRANSFER to extract the emails into a format that could be imported into another email system. I see no evidence that it did ANYTHING with my mail. Easy transfer is supposed to move mail but DIDN'T. You would think that since Microsoft recommends Live Mail as a replacement mail system that this would be made easy. The live mail people seem clueless.

Ed

I did a search for importing OE mail into live mail and got several hits. The below is one.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If you know were your old OE mail folders are, maybe something like this will work.

THANK YOU!! This looks like a winner. Next time I boot Win 7 I will try this. It is a shame I couldn't get this kind of help directly from the Live Mail folks. I don't know why when I was searching I couldn't find this - well, I guess thats why we have these forums. Thanks so much for your help.

Ed

Back