Windows 7 Enter Network Password

arbit

I have this slight problem and I cannot seem to zero-in on the problem. I have 3 systems on my network, all of which are Win 7 Pro w/SP1. The problem is they can see each other on the network, but cannot access the printer and/or files. The Windows Security box pops up that asks for a password. It's weird that password protection is disabled and that this box occurs most of the time while the rest of the time it will work, as in the security box does not pop up. All the necessary services are running and yet I still can't seem to find the problem.

arbit, welcome to the forum!

You need to setup a homegroup. Using the main computer, usually the one with the printer & other accessories attached, go into the Start Menu & type "Homegroup", w/o the quotes. Once there, choose what you want to share, & write down the password.

That one will be the master password. Then, while leaving the main computer on, one by one, take the others, go to Homegroup, and join it, using the password that you originally generated.

Any questions, please ask.

Cat

Thank you. I want to avoid a homegroup because I don't want another layer of abstraction. It has to be possible to do it without a homegroup.

I don't know of any other way to do it. Once setup, it's no big deal, there's no abstraction, it's automatic. Only if you need to make changes, you re-logon to make them.

Like your home wireless connection. I'm sure that you have that set to automatically log you onto the network. Once your homegroup is created, it's done.

Cat

I just tried creating the homegroup and I still have issues with the dialog box popping up. It's really weird. I can't seem to figure this out, I've tackled this for about a year now.

I restarted one of my computers and I was able to view the printer for about one minute and then I tried accessing it again and the dialog popped up.

There is a Homegroup troubleshooter built in to Windows 7, to resolve these issues. Have you tried using that tool?

And do you have a IS suite that's setup for not sharing? If so, you'll need to correct that issue also.

Cat

It took me a bit of time to get this right as well. In my case, it was my IS suite, when I set it up, I elected no sharing. Once I fixed that, all was fine.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom