Prompt Windows to ask for network password?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by MikeHawthorne, Jan 8, 2014.

1. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I changed my Comcast network password from the 16 number string to something I can remember.

No problem doing that. but I can't get Windows to ask for the new password when I log in.

It keeps saying that it can't connect.

I ran all the diagnostics etc, went to settings etc. but even after rebooting when I click connect, and select my home network it tries to connect and doesn't prompt me to put in the new password.

I changed it back to the original and it started working again, but how can I change the password in Windows so it will work with the one I want to use?

Mike

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Where did you change the password? The network password is changed in the routers web-based page. In windows you sign in to the routers network by entering the SSID/password just like you would any other site using a user-name/password. To change that information, it has to be done on that site and not in windows.

3. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

I changed the password on the router setup page at Comcast, but I can't find a place to enter the new password in Windows.
    It just keeps trying to log in using the old one, and I don't know how to clear it.

I thought that when it couldn't log in it would ask for a new password but it doesn't.

Mike