Windows 10 error 0x8000000A after latest update

PhilE

My computer is an Asus motherboard with i5 cpu, 2Tb hhd and 8Gb ram. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have 2 Humax PVR's connected via wireless DLNA. I have been using the latest version of VLC player and have been able to access both there hard drives to view videos and pictures for several months without any problems. Yesterday, after the latest Windows update, I can see both machines, the folders and files on them but when I try to open these files with VLC or Movie Make I get the following message.

upload_2017-4-23_20-10-12.png

I have tried Windows Media Player and the program freezes and will not close, the only way out is to reboot. I tried Movies & TV and the video plays but in 5-6second bursts with similar delays between. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Error 0x000A means the environment is incorrect. It's somewhat of a vague error and can be hard to pin point. Driver issues and malfunctioning DLL's can cause this kind of error. It's probably going to be related to the DLNA

Hi Phil,
It's hard to tell from your description of your problem whether you are having troubles with video content you personally created or video content that was commercially created that uses DRM; for example DVD movies that you purchase from a retail store or online via one of the big content streamers such as Netflix or Amazon. You should know that for nearly 2 years now (July 29, 2015) W10 removed all capabilities of playing commercial DVD movie content from their OS, and that's why you cannot play commercial Music or DVD content on your DVD player unless you buy the Microsoft Media Player from their App Store for $14.99. Folks often try VLC or other free or low-cost media players in the Apps Store to correct this problem (solutions at $14.99 or less). I went through this last year and have multiple posts here about it. Neither VLC player or any of the other players in the Apps Store will play the 5 or 6 movies I wanted play on my W10 laptop for a movie event we had in my Park here last summer. I even spent the $14.99 to buy the Microsoft player thinking that would fix the problem but it didn't. According to one of our frequent contributors (brkkab), he had this same problem with many of the DVD movies in his library and finally solved it by purchasing the Powerlink DVD Creator suite for $79.99 online. I am planning on getting that for my laptop as well, just haven't done it yet, so I haven't personally verified it works on the movies I was trying to play on the DVD player on my W10 laptop. Just passing that info along to you.

Don't know how you were playing your Movies before over your network in W10, but you simply may have accessed a movie that you thought you were playing prior to the W10 CU update coming in back on Apr. 11th, but may have indeed been some other movie. Again, the real issue is if you were playing a movie on a W10 version earlier than the current v1703 (CU), chances are it wasn't a commercially purchased movie, but rather one you made with movie creation software such as Movie Maker which you mentioned or iLife for Windows or similar. I can tell you for a fact that VLC won't play just about any of my commercially mad movies either before this months W10 update or after.

Let us know what kind of content you are attempting to play. Nevertheless, I suspect you are going to have to cough up the $80 if you intend to watch purchased movies streaming on your network whether sourced from a DVD player or a Media Storage Station or NAS device etc.

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
thanks for your reply, the humax records tv programs which I was able to watch on any TV in the house or my PC via wireless DLNA until the last update. Now I can see the humax machine and the folders and file on it but not play or copy them across to my PC hhd except by using Movies & TV program on the PC but the resulting video is very jerky, playing in short bursts and then freezing for a few seconds.

Interesting, so you are recording commercial video streaming content protected by DRM then. My guess is, that Microsoft along with the DRM folks have removed that capability from the v1703 CU update.:skull: I would suggest that you contact the company (Humax?) that makes the machine or software program you paid for and try to ask them if they have an update for their program since it's stopped working correctly in the new v1703 CU version of windows. If they don't have an update for that program currently, ask them when they will. If they don't give you a date, or say they just don't know I suspect they are either being sued by Microsoft or other DRM members such as the movie industry folks for copyright infringement by people using their problem to rip live TV to your devices. By the way, I know of no one else doing this. After all the smoke clears they may be forced out of business or slapped with a cease-and-decist order. Since it all worked perfectly BEFORE the update, I'm inclined to believe that Microsoft has changed something to protect the copyright owners of the TV media you are recording.

Thanks,
<<<BBJ>>>

Hi again BIGBEARJEDI, the Humax is a commercially available Personal Video Recorder designed to record live TV and play it back later. It's operating system is based on Linux but is DLNA compatable so that it can stream video over a home network, which I am trying to do. Here in the UK, it is legal provided it is for personal use only. All the programs I have tried to watch are already available to stream via BBC iplayer or their equivalent streaming service for the commercial stations. With regards to bochane's reply, I have tried to copy the files over to another hdd but I get the same error code. I also tried un-installing and then re-installing VLC but it made no difference. The only way I can see of copying the files over would be to transfer the Humax hdd into my PC but as the Humax is still under warranty, it would mean voiding it. Thanks for your imput so far. As a matter of interest, the only tag in properties is "details".

To be clear, you are able to copy the data from the humax to another hard drive, or are you not able to copy the files to another hard drive and test playing the files that way?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. No, if I try to copy the files, I receive the error message. Prior to the update I was able to watch the files on any TV on the home network, or copy them to my PC but not anymore. I can watch them using the Movies & TV program on my PC but they are displayed in short bursts with freezing in between, VLC and Movie maker flags up the errer message and Windows Media Player just freezes.

Have you checked the speed of your internet connection?
And have you tried all this on a different computer?

Just checked the speeds, the internal link speeds are 144/144 Mb transmit and receive and the internet speeds are Download 4.6 Mb and Upload 1.1 Mb., these are average for my non fibre connection. I cannot check with another computer as I only have the one. Still receiving the error message. Thanks for your suggestions.

Apart from the valid remarks of BBJ, and if I understand you well, the download- and upload speeds between your computer and the speedtest site are 4.6 and 1.1 Megabits/sec.
I wonder whether this is enough to downstream.
Have you the impression that your internet speed went down?

You are able to see other sources, for instance try this one: Jeremiah McDonald (out of topic, but I like it....)

Last edited:
Hi bochane, sorry if my discription of the problem is not what it should be but we seem to be drifting away from the issue. It is very rare that I stream video off the net and what I do stream works OK (the odd utube etc). The speeds I indicated are correct and have been sufficient for my needs. The set up that I have is 3 TV's in different rooms. 2 of the TV's are connected to 2 Humax PVR's, which record live TV programs onto an internal hdd. These machines are linked to the TV's via HDMI cables, are DLNA compatable and have wireless adaptors to link to a home network.(In set up on both the Humax Machines the transfer speed varies between 36 & 48 mb/s.) The third TV is used as a normal TV and also as a monitor for my PC. I have set up a wireless home network which includes the PC and both the Humax machines, this allowed me to watch video, photos and listen to music stored on any of the hdd,s (Humax and PC) on any TV in the house. This set up has been working fine for the last 12 months until the latest update to Windows 10. Now the system works between both Humax machines and from the PC hdd to the humax machines but I cannot play or copy content of either of the Humax machines onto the PC. When I try I get the error message. I can still access all the video, photos and music file stored on the PC hdd on my PC, it is just the access to the humax hdd's that is the problem. I hope this clarifies the situation, as far as I can see it must be something to do with the update that has upset the system. Enjoyed the clip by the way.

You are right, I realize it now reading your answer. I just wanted to be absolutely sure that it was not some weird PC problem.

Hi brochane, thanks for your assistance. It appears that this one will require some tracking down since the error code is very vague as to it's meaning. I will keep trying and see what comes up.

I suggest you follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If this method 1 doesn't help you, I suggest you check if the services responsible for Windows update is running
  • Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc”
  • Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services and check if it is running.
  • If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I ran Windows update Troubleshooter and got the following report:

upload_2017-5-4_18-15-17.png

Checked that Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services were running and they were. Checked for new updates and my system was reported as up to date. Still cannot play or copy from the Humax machines using VLC player (still receiving the error message) but I tried Windows Movies & TV again, that played the video OK but Windows Media Player still does not work (just freezes and I have to re-boot to close the program). Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Back