Windows 7 Error 711: cannot load remote access connection manager

Hi,

an eror message has been bugging my lately, rather since I started using programs which use the remote access connection manager.

one of them is songbird (the fire-foxy media player) which cannot listen to shared music, and SecondLife which uses it to make http calls, both of which make up pretty major parts of my day to day.

the actual error reads:
Network Connections
Cannot load the remote access connection manager service.

Error 711: the operation could not finish because it could not start the remote access connection manager service in time. please try the operation again.

I found Link Removed - Invalid URL which explains that windows is stupid and I should load the following dependant services manually.
Telephony
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Telephony on my computer is already running, the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager depends on Remote Access Connection Manager, when I try to start the Remote Access Connection Manager service I get the error message:
Services
Windows could not start the remote access connection manager service on local computer

Error 1068: The dependancy Service or group failed to start.

so, down the rabit hole....
the Remote Access Connection Manager depends on Telephony (already running) and Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service.

when I try to manually start the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service I get the following informative message:
Services
The Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

this is the end of our journey I'm afraid, its a circular problem as apparently the rabit hole leads to a perfectly functional service. So I'm at a loss, and would very much like to hear a solution or from anyone with similar issues.

thanks for any advice.
Rabit

I fixed the problem by using regedit.
Click on the Start button and type regedit in the search block. Click on regedit.exe
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SstpSvc Right click on "Start" and click on Modify. Change the Data Value to one less than the value. I changed it from a 4 to a 3 This fixed the errors 711 and 1068

Re: Error 711: cannot load remote access connection manager [Solution]

I found a solution to my problem: "The Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped"
I ended up deleting ALL the files under c:\windows\system32\logfiles\WMI and also inside the RTBACKUP sub-folder. After rebooting, it all worked. My Event Viewer was also working again.

Hello,
thanks for sharing this post. i also faced this problem and i fixed it after reading this article Link Removed - Invalid URL .hope you can solve your problem after reading this article.

Re: Error 711: cannot load remote access connection manager [Solution]

guys,
I have solved this problem in my "windows developer preview". Everytime I tried to connect to dial up modem it gaves me an error 711.

Solution :
Go to run >> type "msconfig" (obviously without quotes) >> click on service >> below click on enable all >> and appy changes >>> click ok >>> It will ask you to restart the system >>> just click on restart,

That's it!

Enjoy

Error 711: Cannot load Remote Access Service Connection Manager
and
Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start and cannot start the remote access connection manager service.

You will have to do this five steps

1. Give full security rights to folder c:\windows (select in the Change Permission "this folder, subfolders and files")
2. Restart PC
3. Delete folder C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI
4. Restart PC
5. Try starting Remote Access Connection Manager service (or VPN for those who can't start VPN )

Hi,
Try the following few steps, it should solve the issue.

1. Open Start menu and run services.msc
2. Check in the list for the service named Windows Event Collector.
3. If the service is not running, start it.
4. Now repeat steps 2 and 3 for Telephony, Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service and Remote Access Connection Manager service.

It's a temporary solution though. You have to follow these procedures every time the system is turned on.

Out of all the suggestions above, yours worked for me. Thanks a lot... but are there any implications from this change? feedback please...

I fixed the problem by using regedit.
Click on the Start button and type regedit in the search block. Click on regedit.exe
Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SstpSvc Right click on "Start" and click on Modify. Change the Data Value to one less than the value. I changed it from a 4 to a 3 This fixed the errors 711 and 1068
Out of all the suggestions above, yours worked for me. Thanks a lot... but are there any implications from this change? feedback please...

Error 711: the operation could not finish because it could not start the remote access connection manager service in time. please try the operation again.

I had same issue, but I had disabled Event Log (from Services as well) to play GTA IV. When I enabled this once again, the VPN connection worked perfectly.

Back