roediGERhard

Hi,

we have the following setup:
- Windows10 Pro Workstations
- Windows Server 2016 Standard as Domaincontroller with an AD
- Red Hat 4.8.5-39 Server with samba shares

the following scenario happens:
- a user creates an excel sheet and stores it on one of the samba shares
- excel crashes and the file is therefore locked and showing up the 'this file is locked by another user...' message (which is totally fine)

Now I want to know how to read the locks. I am not interested how to fix that specific Excel File! (just wanted to make that clear, as I've done an hour long discussion at another forum and getting answers how to unlock the file but no information on my question).

I know that MMC should be able to do so with the shared folder snap-in, but unfortunately I can not get acces on reading those informations in MMC. So the reading of the shares themself works fine (functionallity circled in blue at the screenshot), but as soon as i want to see the sessions and open documents I get a message, that I am not allowed to do so. I have attached the message and circeled the feature in red I wanna use (mspaint ftw :D ). The message should be obvious ;) (although I use a german language pack it should be clear, what I want(?)) I've tried to use that functionality in MMC with the following accounts:
- 'normal' AD Account
- AD Account within the Server-Operator group
- AD Account within the Network-Operator group
- Local Admin Account
- Domain Admin Account

None of them works. I get the same message with every user. What do I have to do, to get this going? Any help is appreciated ;)

error.png

Last edited:
Are you asking you want to be able to see what files are locked? If so then you would need to look on the Redhat server since Windows isn't hosting the shares.

From the Redhat server you'd type smbstatus | grep -i filename.ext or just smbstatus to see all open files

You could create a powershell script that ssh'd to the redhat server and pulled that information.

Huh. Well then i was on the complete wrong end at solving this issue :D thx for the hint. I thought MMC could do that as well, as it is mentioned in a lot of threads on the interwebs. But hey, I'll take a look on the linux side of things ;)

Last edited:
nice one. This is what i was looking for. Again Thx a lot for the hint. I was so stubborn on the MMC solution I wasn't thinkin straight ;)

If it were a Windows server then yes you could look at Shared Folders > Open Files from MMC while connected to the remote server.

Sure thing, should have been clear way earlier to me ;) As mentioned, I was a bit stubborn with the MMC especially as I got tips how to do that with it in the other forum. Honestly I was wondering how that works from the get go. But I never ask how microsoft services operate. They can do the weirdest things, so why not read that from a sambashare XD

Back