Windows 7 Error configuring Media Center

kormath

Honorable Member
Just installed W7 this evening. I've installed the beta drivers for my Hauppage HVR 1600 and the updated WinTv software. WinTv works like a champ, clear picture, some channels are even more clear than on my tv :p

So i bit the bullet and started configuring WMC so i could record my shows when i'm at work. First error i got was something about the playback, said i couldn't record the premium channels. No biggie, i thought, i've never watched the premium channes on here anyway, in Vista they wouldn't scan.

So then i continued hte setup, got to Downloading TV Setup Data and got this error window popping up:

(((int)(m_alDroppedFrames[m_idxQueueCurrent].uPresentID - uPresentCount)) <= 0)
Slot still in use
File: "d:\win7rc\multimedia\slalom\splash\render\drivers\direct3d9\nt\ntdxpresentqueue.cpp"
Line: 133
Call stack:
KiFastSystemCallRet ntdll.dll
DebugDumpStack EhDebug.dll

then it gives me the options to Abort, Debug, Ignore, and Copy.

Abort of course closes WMC, Debug gave another error window about a WMC and a validation error Process name: ehshell.exe Module KERNELBASE.dll. (seems all of the programs in W7 are having this error, even before i added anything, iexplorer, explorer, etc. etc.) So i ignored the error like i have been with IE8. WMC started examining TV signals then, progress bar got to about the half way point, i put my mouse cursor on the dot so i could make sure if it moved or not, and i went to get a drink, answered a phone call, made dinner kinda spaced off about the setup.

About about 90 minutes later or so i come back and the progress bar hasn't moved, it's at the exact same spot as when i left, so then i closed WMC. Swore a little bit to make myself feel better and rebooted the computer. When it restarted i opened WMC, went through the process again, same spot i get the error pasted above so i try the Ignore option and the same thing happens. over an hour this time and the progress meter didn't move on the channel scan. Which by the way, only took WinTv about 10 minutes give or take to scan all of my 73 channels.

So i click the cancel button to stop the scan so i can watch tv with WinTv, get the cancel confirmation window and click yes, the little circle is spinning in the WMC window and the cancellation confirmation is still there, 15 minutes now.

So what can i do to fix this (if anything) and all those freakin validation errors?

I have updated to the latest Beta driver for my video card, and all of my other drivers are W7 defaults or betas for W7.

Window 7 Ultimate Evaluation Copy, Build 7100

My specs
Dell XPS 420
Intel Core2 Q6600 Quad 2.4Ghz CPU
3gig Ram
500gig HDD (partitioned to dual boot Vista and W7)
1Tb HDD (movies and backup)

Last edited:
Did you download the driuver directly from Support: Software for WinTV-HVR-1600

To install the latest driver:

Link Removed - Invalid URLLeave your WinTV-HVR-1600 plugged into your PC. Follow the following steps:
  • Download the WinTV-HVR-1600 driver update: Link Removed - Invalid URL
  • Unzip this file to a directory you will remember, such as WINTV. It will create a new folder. To install, open the folder.
  • Run HCWDRIVERINSTALL.EXE.
  • This will install the WinTV-HVR-1600 base driver. At the completion of the driver install, you should see a message which says Drivers have been updated sucessfully.
Name: 18drv_26028.zip
Size:
1.1 MB
Updated: January 28, 2008

Yep i downloaded the driver and the WinTv software from that page.

WinTv works great, but every time i go to configure WMC it locks up or gives an error similar to the one above, not to mention the countless validation errors with the dll files.

I'm starting to think the install i downloaded from MSDN is fubar, or maybe a glitch when i burned to the dvd to install on my system. Even Vista Beta didn't give me this many errors :eek:

Seeing as though you just installed, maybe a complete "clean" install would do the trick., especially because of the DLL errors.

I'd suggest burning the ISO at it's slowest speed (1x), if possible.

Have you checked to make sure the Windows Media Center services are started?

Or maybe set them all to Manual and then give it a try?

i didn't think to check services. I'll be gone for the holiday weekend so i'll have to play with this more on Sunday when i get back home.

I'll also try to reburn the ISO at 1x and see if that helps.

On a side note it's the same file i downloaded from MSDN a few weeks ago and installed, got the same dll validation errors too, even an autorun.exe validation error with the kernelbase.dll when i removed the dvd after it installed. On that installation i didn't want ot mess with a bunch of errors so i just wiped it and gave the partition back to vista.

This makes me wonder if the copy on MSDN is corrupt?
I downloaded this version yesterday afternoon, same version i downloaded a couple weeks ago:
Windows 7 RC Checked Build (x86) - DVD (English)

So maybe i downloaded the wrong installation. Looking further into the MSDN download options i see this version also:
Windows 7 Ultimate RC (x86) - DVD (English)

I'll try the 2nd option here and see if that install and works any better. I guess i should have looked into it further yesterday, i thought the checked build would have been checked for bugs, maybe i was wrong ;)

i didn't think to check services. I'll be gone for the holiday weekend so i'll have to play with this more on Sunday when i get back home.

I'll also try to reburn the ISO at 1x and see if that helps.

On a side note it's the same file i downloaded from MSDN a few weeks ago and installed, got the same dll validation errors too, even an autorun.exe validation error with the kernelbase.dll when i removed the dvd after it installed. On that installation i didn't want ot mess with a bunch of errors so i just wiped it and gave the partition back to vista.

This makes me wonder if the copy on MSDN is corrupt?
I downloaded this version yesterday afternoon, same version i downloaded a couple weeks ago:
Windows 7 RC Checked Build (x86) - DVD (English)

So maybe i downloaded the wrong installation. Looking further into the MSDN download options i see this version also:
Windows 7 Ultimate RC (x86) - DVD (English)

I'll try the 2nd option here and see if that install and works any better. I guess i should have looked into it further yesterday, i thought the checked build would have been checked for bugs, maybe i was wrong ;)

I have that card you need to download the WinTV 7 install CD 1.1b

ocgw

peace

Back