Windows 7 error msg- 'no such interface supported'

danferris

I uninstalled a couple of toolbars for Firefox the other day using the Uninstaller in Advanced System Care 5. I think it was the Power Clean utility which has caused the problem. Now I cant access any of my folders or shortcuts on my desktop or in the Start Menu (Control Panel, My Computer, Documents etc.) the msg 'no such interface supported' pops up. The USB connections are not working either. All non windows programs are working fine such as Mozilla, Bit Torrent, Picasa and Wifi. Do I need to reinstall Windows 7
to fix the problem and will reinstalling Windows wipe all my data of my hard drives? I returned the computer to the previous restore point but it had no effect. What should I do?

My first choice would be to reinstall the programs and see what you have. If it works or not, we can make a plan from there. Post back

The the utility keep an archive of what it deleted or at least a log?

You could possably try a system restore and then use windows uninstaller to remove the toolbars.

Basher

i KNOW THE FEELING m8!

"I returned the computer to the previous restore point but it had no effect. "

If you are "Rapidly nearing senility!" then I am there - I am definatly loosing it, I had to read it a few times to see it lol.

Basher

The utility did keep a log file. I dont know enough about software to make heads or tails of it though.
Attach it using the paperclip. You might want to zip it first if it is large or the log file will not attach directly. You might scan it to see if any personal information is included and remove that in a text file, then attach.

Edit: You can reinstall windows by doing a repair install. There are tutorials, but you load the install media from within Windows and do an update install. If you have SP1, you need an SP1 install DVD which you can download, but I don't know about any OEM type problems when using non-OEM media.

Last edited:
Thanks for the log. It appears to be quite extensive and I will have to compare some of the entries against my system. It will probably be after Christmas before I get back....

Well, it may not take me that long...

If I am reading the log correctly, and not sure I am, the uninstall removed pretty much the entire registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID

If you know how, check your registry to see if it is still there. I have several hundred entries in that key, so it should be easy to tell if it is gone. If it is gone, and the utility cannot restore the entries, you are limited in your response. Perhaps someone could provide you with that key so you could import it, but there would probably be differences between systems.

Let us know if the entries are missing or not.

The log also shows files from the Firefox directories being deleted, but that should not lead to a system problem.

Back