Windows 7 Excel crashing on start up

teamtom15

Hi guys,

First post here, after being a long time user of the site, I've finally come to post!

I'm looking for a bit of help here. I have a user at the moment who's excel is crashing at random points of the day. This does seem to happen when there are more than about 3 or 4 excel documents open at a time.

After checking event log, the below shows...

Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6126.5003, time stamp: 0x505b0834Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6126.5003, time stamp: 0x505b0834
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x003a4865
Faulting process id: 0x10c4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdecd6e1a7b12b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
Report Id: a34594be-58d8-11e2-bacd-e89d870c9f2d

I've tried opening in safe mode and that opens fine (although it is a random fault this may not of shown anything...).
tried checking com-in add-ins and there are not any installed.

normally a reboot will fix the problem but I'm looking for a more permanent
solution.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

The software is updated on a daily basis so unless there has been a excel update put out today then I'm not sure that's the issue.

and I'm not sure wether this issue is local to the machine either, after writing this post we actually had another two users get the same issue, opening two different documents.

the pcs themselves have 4gb of ram, so I'm not sure whether that's the issue either...

Is this in an office network environment or individual users? What about malware, spyware or a Virus....any scans been done?

I highly doubt that it is a virus issue as scans get done everyday.

And this is in an office environment, yes.

How does the software get installed in this office environment? Does it get installed from one disk to all PC's over the network or one PC at a time? Have you tried repairing excel or the office suite?

It gets installed individually at each PC, so a difference license copy for each machine.

Tried the repair function to no avail.

We seem to think its an issue with excel 2010, as previously these users had been using an earlier version of office on lower spec machines on the same documents and it worked fine.

I think we are just going to keep an eye on it for now as i said, it normally works fine after a reboot, so i think it might just be a temporay memory issue.

Back