Windows 7 Exception code 0xc0000005 when shutting down 64bit application

ReReOs

Hi!

Since recently, quitting the Cubase 6 64bit result in application crash with Exception code 0xc0000005 in the event log:

----------------------------
Felet uppstod i programmet med namn: Cubase6.exe, version 6.0.7.364, tidsstämpel 0x4f5f87dc
, felet uppstod i modulen med namn: Cubase6.exe, version 6.0.7.364, tidsstämpel 0x4f5f87dc
Undantagskod: 0xc0000005
Felförskjutning: 0x0000000000fe3352
Process-ID: 0xfc8
Programmets starttid: 0x01d356097b404a02
Sökväg till program: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
Sökväg till modul: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
Rapport-ID: dcfdc707-c1fc-11e7-bd0e-001fd0dbecc6
System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-11-05T07:42:25.000000000Z

EventRecordID 1072390

Channel Application

Computer RMS

Security

- EventData

Cubase6.exe
4f5f87dc
Cubase6.exe
4f5f87dc
c0000005
0000000000fe3352
fc8
01d356097b404a02
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
dcfdc707-c1fc-11e7-bd0e-001fd0dbecc6
----------------------------

It used to work for years without a problem.

On the other hand, the Cubase 6 32bit doesn’t have this problem.

Furthermore, if set the Cubase 6 64bit to ‘Windows 7’ compatibility mode, then the application is shutting down properly. But some functions are very slow then.

I’ve also re-installed Cubase 6 64bit from the original installer and updated it to the last version, but the problem is still present.

Using "Run As Administrator” doesn’t make the problem go away.

I’ve tried to disable the Hyperthreading, but it doesn’t have any impact on the problem.
I read somewhere that a possible cause is the that some bad driver has corrupted the system driver pool?

I’ve submitted the full Event Viewer administrative logs through the following link:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/trshared/Errors.zip

System specifications:

Win7 Pro 64bit SP1
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 710
Gigabyte EX58-UD4

I would appreciate if someone could help me to trace down and solve the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Errors.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Try running a sfc scan and see if it repairs any corruption. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If it fails to repair try running a few times or in safe mode.

Try running a sfc scan and see if it repairs any corruption. Open an admin command prompt and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If it fails to repair try running a few times or in safe mode.

Thanks for your reply. Did three times, even from safe mode, but I'm still getting the same error when shutting down the application.

Hmm... It could well be something else your running which might be tripping the app to crash. Can you remember if the initial start of the crashing coincides with recent install of something new?
Looking through your logs the other application issues I saw were for something including Rack.exe. Googling led me to believe it's a music application of some sort?

I also saw errors for Bonjour which is typically included with apps like iTunes or something Apple related. Try re-installing whatever it is your using.

Hmm... It could well be something else your running which might be tripping the app to crash. Can you remember if the initial start of the crashing coincides with recent install of something new?

That's the quirky thing, nothing I can point at. I've already tried to re-install Cubase 6 64bit, but it still crashes at exit. I was hopping that you could find something in the event log I've submitted.

Hmm.. I'd be tempted to remove Panda simply because third party AV suites can introduce various issues from time to time. At least you can check it off the list kinda thing.

Error 0x0005 is access denied. So it's failing trying to access some resource. If it's a file or registry resource you maybe able to see the failure running procmon and if it is failing on a file or registry you can grant your user access to said resource. The other option is to create a memory dump on the error and we can look at that. It's likely a Windows patch may have changed something and the program can't handle the exception gracefully.

...btw, in the Cubase 6 64bit application log file, it only this can be found:

---------------
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address: 00000000 4D93901F:4D93901F C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Cubase6.exe
---------------

The only thing in the dump was an access denied to a backup ETL log which isn't an issue. According to the Cubase forum this can happen due to issues with other DLLs that are called. 64bit has very strict exception handling compared to 32 bit (applications, not just Cubase)

The only thing in the dump was an access denied to a backup ETL log which isn't an issue. According to the Cubase forum this can happen due to issues with other DLLs that are called. 64bit has very strict exception handling compared to 32 bit (applications, not just Cubase)
Thank you very much for taking your time and checking the dump file.

OK, can you maybe suggest something for me to try

I believe it relies on one of the C++ runtime libraries, if you have the install media it should include the C++ version it uses, or look in programs and features and re-install any you have installed or run procexp and look at the threads tab for calls to one of the c++ runtime dlls

Back
Top Bottom