Windows 7 External eSATA Hard Drive Issue

luvflt

I have a Seagate 1TB SATAII drive that I put in an external enclosure. The enclosure allows for either a USB connection or an eSATA connection. When I run it using the USB connection it runs fine. I have a card reader with an eSATA port. If I connect my eSATA cable to my external drive and then to the eSATA port of my card reader nothing happens. It doesn't appear that Windows recognizes that it is there. Is there a special driver for this configuration or are there some setting that I need to make. I just can't figure this one out. I am already running 3 SATAII internal drives and they work. Any suggestions?

Could you list the external enclosure (make/model) as this may help further.

In the meantime here's a link to Seagates knowledgebase:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Yet again, another issue resolved by sheer determination. I guess the answer to this problem is that there is no dedicated eSata port on the mother board. Therefore the eSata connection has to be made externally BEFORE the system is powerd on so the Operating System will know it is there. I was just trying to plug it in any old time and it was not being regonized. Plugging it in and then starting the machine up was the ticket. It works fine now. Hope this helps someone else in this siutation. :D

I know i'm a bit late on this conversation... hoping someone might see it though...

I have the exact same issue. I can't see my drives when I plug my external enclosure (Vantec NST-400MX-SR Nexstar MX Dual 3.5" SATA to USB2.0 & eSATA) into my notebook via eSATA. My PC comes with an eSATA port. Toshiba Qosmio G50/04J. I have 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB in my enclosure, and I'm running Raid 1. I have been using the enclosure via USB and it works fine, I just can't get the eSATA connection to work.

My drivers look up to date. I've scanned for hardware changes. I've tried turning of my pc and rebooting with the drives plugged in and nothing. I've tried going into the BIOS but couldn't find anything to help me there either.

Any suggestions? I've been scouring the whole internets :)) trying to find a solution and this is the closest i've come to an answer.

I found this FAQ after googling, hopefully it may contain (or the site) a solution:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I just got a external eSata HDD wich is only recognized when i reboot windows 7.
When i turn off the external hdd in Windows 7 and turn it back on it doesn't seems to recognize it.
Through Disk Manager click Action, Rescan Disks it turn up again.

I hope this helps (for now).

-------------------------
Windows 7 7600

I am also having this issue, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Professional
eSATA 1TB LaCie drive (eSATA and USB)
ASUS M50Vm

I have been trying to find a fix and I have only found the rescan work around so far. Any other ideas? Just really want a esier way to get my data.

Last edited:
Seems to be a not too uncommon issue. My eSATA drive is not recognized on initial start up, yet if I do a restart it all of a sudden is back. Asus M4A79 Deluxe with Hitachi 1TB SATA in a rosewill enclosure. It may be a BIOS setting because this just became an issue after swapping out my mobo. I'll dig around some more but it seems odd if the drive appears after a restart...

E-Sata not working properly in Windows 7

I am having similar problems. I have a 1 TB Hitachi drive in an external Vantech e-Sata encolosure hooked to my e-Sata port. I am running a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H motherboard.
My drive worked just fine in Windows XP Pro. When I went to Windows 7 the drive is recognized but when I try to transfer files it slows right down to a crawl and the drive disconnects. I turn the drive of then back on and it gets recognized. I don't get any error messages.
I am running two more of the same drives in Raid 0 configuration and they work fine internally.
I am going to try the drive internally just to ensure there is nothing wrong with the drive. It would be a weird coincidence for my drive to go at the same time I installed Windows 7.
It appears I am not alone with this problem.

Just tried the suggestion of moving drive to USB port and it works fine. But I miss the speed of the e-Sata. Microsoft or drive vendor needs to find a fix.

Last edited:
This sounds like a possible driver issue. If you are having problems, please sound off as to what type of hardware you are running.

I am having problems connecting through the esata port on my ASUS P6T Delux motherboard.

Anyone Else?

One more external esata not recognized

GRaid Gen4 2tb raid 0
Asus p5n-e sli
Drive fine (a bit slow) with USB or Firewire, but not recognized using esata. Drive started first, then computer.
Tried to download the JMicron sata controller and all I get is pages of odd characters; must something I don't know about.

Maybe our friends at MS could find out why so many are having this problem.

Interesting update on my esata problem

My motherboard, the ASUS P6 Delux, has the intel SATA/Raid controller and a Marvell SATA/SAS controller. I have tried my esata drive on both ports. On the Intel eSATA port it has problems. However on the Marvell port, there are no problems what so ever - I can even attach the device after Win 7 has booted and I am up and running.

So it would seem my problems are definitely driver issues - or an issue with the way Win 7 interfaces with some drivers.

I seem to have the same problem. My Rosewill RX358-S sata HD enclosure has e-sata and USB ports. I am using a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P mobo with Windows 7 64 bit. When connecting with e-sata, the system will only recognize the drive if I reboot with the enclosure on. USB works fine.

Esata Driver issue

Running Win7 64 bit, Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P and Rosewill RX358 enclosure with Maxtor sata drive. Drive not recognized unless reboot with drive on. USB works fine.

After my previous post, I went back and rebooted into the old Windows XP installation-it recognized the esata drive perfectly. Rebooted into Win 7 again-nothing. This seems to prove that it is a Windows 7 issue-I assume it is a driver issue.

Back
Top Bottom