Windows 7 External esata HDD not recognized

outy565

I just got a western digital 1tb esata/usb external hdd. i tried it in vista and it works perfectly. booted into 7 and its not recognized at all. any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

does the drive spin up when you plug it into the usb port?

anything listed in disk management?

no nothing appears in disk manager. and i dont plug it into usb, i use esata and when i plug it in, yes i can here it working

I have the same problem on my computer. I'll try to figure it out today or tomorrow, and i'll get back here...
Does your drive show up under "diskmgmt.msc"?

Of course you can hear it working: juice is being sent to the HDD, thus it starts up and spins.

THe thing now is whether Windows 7 has eSATA support or it has to be turned on manually somewhere.

On an unrelated note, my USB HDD also takes a longer time to initialize: quite a few times i have to unplug the HDD and reconnect it to the USB port multiple times before Windows recognizes the HDD. It also happens in OS X and Linux though. Maybe it's my port that's acting up.

Did anyone figure this out yet? I have a Antec MX-1 eSATA enclosure with a Seagate SATA drive inside. The MX-1 enclosure has eSATA and USB interface. The USB works but Windows 7 cannot see the drive via eSATA. This worked fine on Windows XP. @Unimatrix013 Do you have a JMicron drive? Those drivers look like its for JMicron devices.

Hi

No, I was trying to get a nexstar drive dock working and I tried them out of frustration more than anything else, but everything worked fine.

regards
Unimatrix013

yes it seems that some jmicron powered external drive docks/portable units have an odd jmb chip that win7 is quirky about i must be lucky my vantec nexstar sata hdd dock works fine on both esata and usb although im pretty sure it doesn't use the jmb chip when in esata mode it's a direct pass through of sata commands the jmb chip is used for usb2.0 support only
um what chipset supplies the esata port on your mobo is it a silicon image chip or some other chip involved i do know that sometimes if i used a WD drive in the dock it wouldn't be detected half of the time and would require me to remove the drive and power up/down then reconnet it and it would go till the next boot then cross fingers and hope it's there

Last edited:
yes it seems that some jmicron powered external drive docks/portable units have an odd jmb chip that win7 is quirky about i must be lucky my vantec nexstar sata hdd dock works fine on both esata and usb although im pretty sure it doesn't use the jmb chip when in esata mode it's a direct pass through of sata commands the jmb chip is used for usb2.0 support only
um what chipset supplies the esata port on your mobo is it a silicon image chip or some other chip involved i do know that sometimes if i used a WD drive in the dock it wouldn't be detected half of the time and would require me to remove the drive and power up/down then reconnet it and it would go till the next boot then cross fingers and hope it's there

Im not sure what controls the Antec MX-1 enclosure. My motherboard is an old Nforce 4 chipset. I tried several things: - Power down computer. Turn eSATA enclosure off. Turn it back on, power up machine. BIOS sees the eSATA enclosure, Windows 7 hangs at Boot Screen, Turn off eSATA drive, Windows 7 goes to login screen - Restart machine, BIOS sees eSATA enclosure, Windows 7 hangs at Boot Screen, turn off eSATA drive, Windows 7 goes to login screen - Once inside Windows 7, turn on eSATA drive, Goto Disk Management, Windows 7 hangs, I have to restart - If I use the USB port on the enclosure, Windows 7 sees it right away

yup pretty much don't bother with esata in win7 on that mobo just use the usb2.0 and all your problems are gone if you still insist on using esata then get yourself an add in card that has esata ports on it that should fix your problem

yup pretty much don't bother with esata in win7 on that mobo just use the usb2.0 and all your problems are gone if you still insist on using esata then get yourself an add in card that has esata ports on it that should fix your problem

Yep. Im going to wait until Win7 is RTM so I can make sure the eSATA card I get supports Win7 :)

I just got a external eSata HDD wich is only recognized when i reboot windows 7.
When i turn off the external hdd in Windows 7 and turn it back on it doesn't seems to recognize it.
Through Disk Manager click Action, Rescan Disks it turn up again.

Windows 7 7600 (RTM???) is not supporting eSata it seems cause im having the same problems you have.

I hope this helps (for now).

I am also having this issue, here are my specs:

Windows 7 Professional
eSATA 1TB LaCie drive (eSATA and USB)
ASUS M50Vm

I have been trying to find a fix and I have only found the rescan work around so far. Any other ideas?

Don't know if this has been answered yet, I had the same problem and downloaded JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.48.06_eSATA.zip from the following link ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/Win2k_xp_Vista

Once installed and rebooted esata drives detected.

regards
Uimatrix013

I have been trying this, but it says I dont have a JBM Device in my PC but it is. I check the manufacturer undew windows and it says Generic Device but ASUS only supplies JBM Micron device drivers because they only have JBMicron devices in their notebooks.

Any help? I need to get onto my drive, I got it working once with a reboot/rescan (also disabling the device and rebooting re-enables and installs it) if only I could install the JBM driver before the windows generic controller renames it.

bump! still no solution to this. I have a powered eSata connected to Asus Rampage 2 extreme and it wont detect. If I reboot it shows up perfectly. Another thing I noticed, when I connect a Seagate 1TB power it up, go to disk management and do a rescan for hard disk then it shows up, this however does not work when i connect my WD green to the same enclosure. USB works perfect ofcourse. Running Windows 7 x64 ultimate. Come on MS, this is supposed to be the best windows to date and eSata is not working?

I don't have any open ports on the mobo so I use a StarTech eSATA controller card with a silicon image chip in it. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get it to work with Windows 7/64. I don't think anyone makes a card that supports Win 7/64.

The only problem with the Toshiba E-SATA I have is sometimes it gores to sleep, I have then re-boot for W7 to see it.
When you first buy the Toshiba you must, repeat must use it as a USB device first to run a program in the Virtual CD that is on the Toshiba and can only be seen when run as a USB device. Sop if you purchase a E-SATA Toshiba. Please read instruction on setup. One Major Bug with the Toshiba in USB mode it will go to sleep after about 15 minutes and will not be seen, you then must just turn power on and off to the Drive so it can be seen again.
Toshiba has the worst record for responding to problems, I have e-mailed them numerous times with no response

Back
Top Bottom