Windows 8 External HDD is read as a CD Drive

RobSr

I have a 1tb HP External HDD that has a lot of files on it. The drive worked fine until yesterday and when I plugged it into the USB port it activated as "CD Drive (G:) HP Launcher". I used explorer and was not able to locate any of my files. There are 2 files showing: 1. HPLauncher.exe 2. Autorun.inf. I've tried deleting these files etc. with no luck. Can someone please help this rookie figure out how to correct this issue. My OS is Windows 8.1.

Greatful in advance, Rob

My email if needed: [email protected]

Safely remove/eject the external drive. Never/ever just pull the usb cable from the usb port. In doing so can render the device inoperable or useless in which a format is required. Reboot the system, once completely booted up, plug the external drive into a different usb port of the system and check if it's recognized.

Safely remove/eject the external drive. Never/ever just pull the usb cable from the usb port. In doing so can render the device inoperable or useless in which a format is required. Reboot the system, once completely booted up, plug the external drive into a different usb port of the system and check if it's recognized.
Thank you for your responsiveness. I used device mgr. and uninstalled the drivers and afterwards I reassigned a drive letter and somehow it's back to normal and working great. Thanks again ... Rob

Back