External hdd not showing up in My Computer and Disk Management is not up-to-date

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Kazimali, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Kazimali

Kazimali Member

Hi,
    I have a problem with my hdd. It hasn't fallen or anything but just all of a sudden it doesn't show up in My Computer. Before, it was showing up but was not accessible but this time when i try to change letter, it tells me that the disk management is not up-to-date. I have a Samsung M3 1TB portable hdd. I have tried the Hdd in other PCs but I'm getting the same problem.​

#1 Kazimali, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

First try plugging it into another pc. This will help determine if the problem lies with the drive or your pc. Also try using a different connecting cable to test if that is the cause.

3. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Also don't use a hub and if it's a powered drive plug in directly to the wall instead of a surge protector.
    Joe

4. Kazimali

Kazimali Member

I have already tried the same thing on other PCs but I'm getting the same problem...

5. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

6. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

A main thing is, can you see the disk in BIOS? Sometimes Windows fails, even if the disk shows in BIOS. If it shows there, it's probably an issue of partition.