Windows 7 Fans keep running after shutdown

dmcmillen

Extraordinary Member
Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 6.1.7601 SP 1 Build 7601, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-960, 12gb mem, GTX-560, NZXT Gamma case

I recently replaced my motherboard and psu in a system recovery. Since then all my fans keep running after shutdown, the front case light is on, usb hub light is on, and case power light is on. Hitting the DVD button causes the DVD light to come on but will not open the drawer, acting llike there's not enough power to open it. The system is definitely shut down, not in sleep mode. (Windows is set to never sleep, sleep button to do nothing, power button set to shut down.) BIOS ACPI Suspend Type = S3.

Disabling BIOS PME Event Wake Up did not fix problem, and shutting down from safe mode gave same results. I have read where the Nvidia card or any PCI card can cause this problem. I will boot from a linux flash drive I have and shut down from there. If that shuts down properly, I know it is a windows problem.

In the meantime, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, David!

I'd start with the case connections to the mobo...sounds like a lead is not in the right slot. Consult your mobo manual for verification.

By the way I am doing an orderly shutdown from windows start menu and not with the power switch and all case connections are connected to the mobo correctly.

OK...if all the connections are correct...then go to the BIOS and set the BIOS to default settings save and exit.

May not boot into widows with default settings and if does may have some driver issues. I'm going to boot from Linux flash drive 1st and shutdown from there. If problem goes away, I know it's a windows problem. If not, I'll start looking at BIOS. This is a new RMA board so not than many changes to BIOS.

Ok. Shutdown from Linux flash drive yielded same results - fans still running, case power led on, etc. So, would think this is a hardware problem and not a windows problem.

bassfisher6522 - are you wanting to reset bios to defaults, boot back to windows and shutdown to see if problem persists? I have 2 options with mobo - Load Fail-Safe Defaults or Load Optimized Defaults

David

Generally, you may have a setting of "keep fans on for x minutes after power off", due to some xxx mobo settings. I believe this idea was originally introduced by Nexus, in order to prevent post heating effects - meaning, once you turn off the computer, components still provide heat, and something may "blow off", thus keeping fans on for some ten minutes, clear it.

The fans blowing for a time is no problem, if they do shut down. But you could go to BIOS and choose Default - it's always a safe way to start - courtesy to Bassfisher.

You may also have an extra program controlling things? Not an impossible thought?

Last edited:
Thanks Pauli. No options like that on this mobo. The case led light and usb hub pwr light remain on and the fans continue spinning all night and stay that way until I start it up again the next morning. Occasionally one of the fans is jerking trying to spin and a quick flick of the finger gets it spinning. I replaced that fan, but no change in behavior. Acting like not getting enough power to that fan, but all voltages are ok, mobo and PSU are brand new. This problem started when I replaced the mobo and PSU in a recent system recovery. Same mobo as before, only change being BIOS version went from FF to FH with new board. No changes in FH that deal with this. PSU is Corsair RM1000.

I just tested this: I turned the PSU off and left off for a while, and when I turned the PSU back on the case LED comes on, power light to a usb hub comes on, and all fans are 'jerking' as if trying to start. A quick spin with my finger gets a fan spinning. Sure smells like a hardware problem. I've double checked all case connections to the mobo, all psu connections and everything looks good. Checked all voltages in BIOS and everything looks good, well within range. I will talk to Gigabyte again today since I have narrowed to hardware and not windows shutdown.

Would really like to get this fixed and move on. Thanks, David

Question; when you changed out your mobo, did you reinstall/clean install your OS? It's the No. 1 recommended or must do when changing out mobo and/or CPU. That would have been the first thing I would have done if this was my situation.

No, it was the identical mobo (an RMA replacement) as before (i.e., exactly the same hardware). Right now based on my last post, this is looking like a hardware problem and not a windows problem. A fresh windows install would probably be a last resort because I have over 250 programs installed, 2-1/2 years of program updates, configurations, and so forth. If I changed to a different mobo/system altogether, I would probably do a fresh install because of problems with Windows HAL (hardware abstraction layer), although Acronis now has a "universal restore" option in their TI 2014 and their Business Backup & Recovery products that supports image recovery to a new hardware system. David

It doesn't matter if it's identical or RMA....a major change in the systems hardware...eg CPU and MOBO requires a fresh install of the OS. You could use Acronis and just back up your data, reinstall the OS and then import the data image.

Sounds actually like a rather common Windows 7 shutdown problem. When you close Windows 7, it proclaims that "Several programs are waiting to be closed", and then you have the option to force them to shut down?

Now, some of these programs may not, perhaps, shut down. I've had some problems with a basic program, Core Temp, usually working quite splendid, and highly appreciated.

Plain free thought, you could try SmartClose, http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartclose.html, to close down everything BEFORE you close down Windows. It might give a hint if there are hanging programs around.

A wild guess, I know, like fishing bass - heh. :up:

Thanks Pauli. I'll check out SmartClose. Right now I am thinking this is a hardware problem because:
  • If I boot from a Linux flash drive and shut down from there - same problem as when shut down from Windows.
  • If turn off PSU, wait for 30 mins, and turn PSU back on, fans immediately are powered up, case led is on, & usb hub pwr light is on. There is pwr to DVD drive, but not enough to open drawer???
As far as windows shutting down, I am not having to force shutdown. Thanks for your help - David

I found this....it may be worth you contacting Gigabyte directly. This may be in-part related to your fan issue.

On/Off Charge Technology
1668.jpg

GIGABYTE On/Off Charge technology allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off. A derivative of GIGABYTE's highly acclaimed 3x USB Power feature, On/Off Charge enables devices to draw more current from GIGABYTE motherboard USB ports than standard USB ports allow, so that charging from your PC can be as fast as with a charger...more
*Due to certain mobile phone limitations, users may need to connect the mobile phone to their PC before the PC enters S4/S5 mode to enable a quick charge from non On/Off Charge USB ports. Charging results may vary by model.
*Whether to support 3X USB power design, it may vary by models.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#ov

Have a look here to.... http://www.gigabyte.us/MicroSite/185/on-off-charge.htm

Thanks bassfisher. Interesting thought. on_off charge has been installed since the system was new on 7/22/2011 (along with Easy Tune 6, Auto Green, and Smart 6). I will talk to Gigabyte again later when they open. I have already talked to them a couple of times and all they suggested was to try disabling PME Event Wake Up in BIOS. David

Ok. Just got off phone with Gigabyte. On_Off Charge only supplies power to the USB 3.0 and cannot cause this problem; the board works that way. They would like me to change ACPI Suspend Type from S3 to S1 to test. If problem still persists then try another PSU. The behavior is abnormal, especially with the DVD player. If problem still persists then must be the mobo.Remember this is a brand new mobo and PSU.
David

Last edited:
Back